what to use to fix cracks in masonry stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old Hearthstone II stove with a few cracks in the stone and I finally decided to do nothing about them. The small amount of air leaks they cause don't seem to do much harm. The stove produces way more heat per unit of wood than the old wrecked plate steel one it replaced.

If you really want to stuff the cracks, you could just use stove cement. Just force it into the cracks with a finger and remove all the extra on the surface with a wet cloth and it should be fairly unnoticeable.

The exteriors of Russian fireplaces that I have seen don't get that hot. I would think regular mortar would work.

if it is a high heat area they make a refractory mortar that you mix with water. you can buy tints for masonry cements in all colors at the Home Dumpster. Make sure you get the right kind of refractory mortar.. there is one that is pasty for coating bricks and that is not what you want. You want the one that is just like regular mortar and you just mix with H2O. It comes in a small plastic pail.

Status
Not open for further replies.