1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What Truck/Trailer Combo for moving wood?

Post in 'The Gear' started by TomR, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomR

TomR New Member

Loc:
    Central CT
    Thanks for all the replies to my original post. It sounds like my best bet is to get a trailer and use my 4runner for the time being. The max towing capacity on the 4runner is 5k lbs. What kind of trailer should I be looking for that won't break the bank or be too big for the 4runner?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. curber

curber Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    south east idaho
    The 5x8 3500lb trailer that I have I got used for 250.00!! Pat.
  3. WoodNStuff

WoodNStuff Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central WI
    That's a great price!! Was it in reasonably good shape or did you do a rebuild and paint job?
  4. WoodNStuff

Loc:
    South Central WI
    Get a 5'x8' or 5'x10' with at least a 3500 lb axle. Get something rated for at least 1.5 tons. Look for steel sides or something with the mounts for wooden sides. Get a trailer with fenders - heavy duty fenders. Also with a good lighting system.

I love my trailer. It's made by Maxi trailers in Janesville, WI. Came with LED trailer lighting, steel plate sides, heavy duty 2" wooden deck, heavy duty tailgate that folds down as a ramp, etc.
  5. TomR

TomR New Member

Loc:
    Central CT
    Thanks WoodNStuff. What would be a fair price for a trailer like the one you are describing? One place I visited trailers were mostly 2500 and up...
  6. WoodNStuff

Loc:
    South Central WI
    I paid around $1350 brand new. There are used trailers to be had but just got to look. Quality will last. You want quality in your trailer. Or you'll be po'd and looking again. My 2 cents.

By the way, I think mine was originally $1700 but got a deal because end of season.
  7. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Look on CL for a trailer with at least 2x flooring, a ramp and angle iron side posts. I suggest at least 6x10 single axle. Depending on condition 6-$900
  8. seeyal8r

seeyal8r Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Central Oklahoma
    I bought my used 7X16 tandem axle trailer with 2 3500 lb axles and a very heavy duty fold down gate that is removeable or able to be placed flat on the bed or in straight up position. The trailer was used off CL. A guy had bought it new in NY and moved to OK with it. He had paid $1800. The trailer had made two trips to NY and back. I bought it for $900. I greased the hubs and have pulled it thousands of miles since. The trailer weighs about $1500 lbs.

But again my truck is a lot bigger than yours so you should probably stick to one of the smaller trailers. Make sure it comes with full size tires, not the donut ones. 15" trailer tires are $50 new and are made to support the weight.

hope this helps.
  9. curber

curber Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    south east idaho
    I came across this deal for 2 trailers about 2 years ago on craigslist. ( two trailers 275 each or 500 for both.) So I went and looked, It was a 4x8 with 2foot sides and a ramp gate and my 5x8, 1foot sides and no gate. Both trailers were factory built, not home jobs. Both in good used condition, Paint,lights, and wood was good on both. Tires all looked like new. The only problem with the 5x8 was the 2x6 decking was starting to go bad. So after looking these over I handed the guy 500 cash and bought them both. I think it's the best deal I've ever came across. Pat
  10. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Member

Loc:
    southeast pa
    my 1993 toyota truck had way more in the brakes department than my 95 bronco, which is basically an f-150. i am a huge fan of toyota after having fords for 20 years.

i would not go out and buy a pickup with the biggest engine just to haul a few loads of wood a year. with the price of gas, and if thats your daily driver, then your are paying for that huge engine all year long. i work with the world smartst people (kidding), and one of them had to buy this F-250 with the biggest engine available because he pulls his camper for vacation, once a year. Other than that he drives it 40 miles round trip to work evryday. i think it gets about 7 miles to the gallon.
    for me, vehicles are an appliance. i quit caring about how they look a long time ago. i care way more about how they run, and spend time keeping them running like they should. i dont have the time or patience to spend every saturday washing, vacuuming, etc....its just not for me.
  11. WoodNStuff

Loc:
    South Central WI
    What a deal! Did you end up selling one, effectively getting one trailer for near nothing?
  12. WoodNStuff

Loc:
    South Central WI
    This would be a very nice set-up. You'll notice that the trailer will pay for itself after picking up a coupl appliances, dropping yard waste at the municipal compost site, picking up construction/repair supplies, etc, not to mention firewood.
  13. WoodNStuff

Loc:
    South Central WI
    Ditto on the full size tires. If it has at least a 3500 lb axle, the full tires should come standard. But put this point of your list as the trailer would basically be worthless without them IMO.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.