What type of fuel can do you use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I finally had to fire up the snowthrower for the first time last night. Another 10" will be getting some hang time in about 30 min., but as I was filling the machine with fuel, it got me thinking. Actually, the gas dripping on my boot got me thinking. What is the best gas can out there? I picked up a nice poly-can for one of the saws this summer, has the button flow control thingy, seems to work pretty good, but it's only a 2 gal. version. I'd love to replace my plastic 5gal. with one or two of those. So who uses what, and how do you like it?

I used to have good luck with Rubbermaid but when they quit making them I haven't found one I like. I use a metal 2.5 gallon on the dumptruck for saws. I also have a couple of small plastic ones floating around. Still no excellent alternatives though...

I've had Scepter poly gas cans for decades, both in 22 and 11 litre sizes. They don't make that model any more.

LLigetfa said:
I've had Scepter poly gas cans for decades, both in 22 and 11 litre sizes. They don't make that model any more.

Canadian Sceptre makes the best plastic gas cans I have ever come across. They don't seem to be available in the US anymore, or at least nowhere I have been. It's a real shame. All I can find now are Blitz, which I hate with a passion.

This is one I like
OSHA approved seals tight
funnel attached
put the funnel in the hole
pull handle dispense gas
no mess
fairly expensive
$50.00
also comes in 2 gal model

Attachments

• Safety-Can-Type-I-and-Funnel-Spout-3NKR5_AS01.jpg
    Safety-Can-Type-I-and-Funnel-Spout-3NKR5_AS01.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 364
I use the 5 gallon plastic containers with the push button flow control. $10 apiece and they don't leak even if they're upside down.

mayhem said:
I use the 5 gallon plastic containers with the push button flow control. $10 apiece and they don't leak even if they're upside down.

That sounds like the Blitz cans. I have several of them. Beside being clunky to use, they collapse in cold temperatures and blow up like a balloon when its hot. All that collapsing and expanding can't be good for the structural integrity of the container. I haven't had one crack yet, but I expect it to happen. Not a good thing for something that holds gasoline.

The two I currently have, are Poly.........that said........anything that doesn't cost too much, and holds what I need.......that's the one I buy!! I recall (just for the note factor) that SOME Gas Stations won't let you fill containers that are not approved by some source or other.

-Soupy1957

WhitePine said:
mayhem said:

That sounds like the Blitz cans. I have several of them. Beside being clunky to use, they collapse in cold temperatures and blow up like a balloon when its hot. All that collapsing and expanding can't be good for the structural integrity of the container. I haven't had one crack yet, but I expect it to happen. Not a good thing for something that holds gasoline.

Yep, those are the ones I use. Been using them for years and years and have not yet experienced what you're describing. They stay in a constant shape regardless of teperature or fuel content (empty/full, gas/mix/deisel).

mayhem said:
WhitePine said:
mayhem said:

Yep, those are the ones I use. Been using them for years and years and have not yet experienced what you're describing. They stay in a constant shape regardless of teperature or fuel content (empty/full, gas/mix/deisel).

Interesting. Climate might have something to do with. I range from Fla to Tenn and see it all the time.

My grandfather used to keep the mixed fuel for the weed whip in a big glass gallon-or-so sized mayonnaise jar. I was only about 13 at the time, but I remember thinking that it probably wasn't the safest way to store gas. :gulp:

If it is just the spout that you like then you can probably thread it on any 5 gallon can you like, that is what I did.

Probably shouldn't tell you about my 1-gallon "can" of mixed gas for the chainsaw . . . it's a recycled windshield washer fluid jug which I use until it gets too beat up or the threads start to fail. Other gas cans to fill up the ATV, sled, splitter, mower, etc. are just the garden variety plastic gas can . . . although I tend to not use the "safety" features . . . instead I use a funnel for the pour . . . otherwise without fail I end up with more gasoline on me and on the equipment than I do in the gas tank.

My Favorite can is MMAUL's! lol

Thats the reason I run out of fuel so quickly. And when looking for a hitch pin he uses my scrench, not the 3 he has but mine. :)

ironpony said:
This is one I like
OSHA approved seals tight
funnel attached
put the funnel in the hole
pull handle dispense gas
no mess
fairly expensive
$50.00
also comes in 2 gal model

I agree with ironpony (although they are $36). I bought one of these used on Ebay for pretty cheap. These are the best and metal is the best. It is hard to avoid plastic anymore but my Stihl dealer told me to get a metal can as gas that sits for time can actually disolve some of the plastic and cause problems. I also bought a used 1 gallon metal gas can that is a collectors item and works great for filling the chainsaw.

If you have to get a plastic one I really like the one that I get diesel fuel in that has a squeeze trigger, bought it at Lowes.

Attachments

• dieselcan.jpg
    dieselcan.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 244
  • eagle.jpg
    eagle.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 245
MMaul said:
Thats the reason I run out of fuel so quickly. And when looking for a hitch pin he uses my scrench, not the 3 he has but mine. :)

:p I have a lot more than that. Darn sure didnt know you where the guy with a new one! lol

Got one, that's the one I like the best. I also have a Blitz, and a 5 gal. Rubbermaid for straight gas. The "No-Spill" push button nozzle works pretty darn good. I wonder if the nozzles would retrofit onto the other cans? I'll have to try it.

Years ago i bought 3 of those "jerry" military style cans.
These 5 gallon metal cans are very durable and last forever.
Only problem is getting the gas to leave the can !!!
Seems to take forever..........Vents are open but this style just wont breath ???
and being metal they are heavy to begin with.
They are in too good condition to get rid of...........
Standard "no lead" screw in type nozel.
Anybody know if they make a different type nozel that allows for faster filing ?
rn

Yes, No-Spill is the best gas can out there, and Bailey's has the best price I've found. CARB and EPA approved, wicked easy to use as well. I have a 1 1/4 gallon No-Spill for my mix, but I will be ordering a couple 5 gallon cans for bulk storage. It's a 45 minute drive to get ethanol-free gas for me, so I want to get at least 10 gallons at a time to make it worthwhile.

So don't risk self-immolation any more. Get a No-Spill, and keep that gas off you and in the saw where it belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.