What value is a chimney liner for a pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scdngy

Oct 24, 2023
Wa State
I've gathered bits from other threads that a chimney liner for a pellet stove shoud be stainless steel. But why is a 4" liner needed in the first place? Seems to me that a 10" chimney would vent even better, or? I'm wondering why i should shell out $500 when i already have a good chimney. Thanks.

I've gathered bits from other threads that a chimney liner for a pellet stove shoud be stainless steel. But why is a 4" liner needed in the first place? Seems to me that a 10" chimney would vent even better, or? I'm wondering why i should shell out $500 when i already have a good chimney. Thanks.
10" will not vent better. It probably won't vent at all because it has too much volume for the pellet stove to heat in order to create draft.

10" will not vent better. It probably won't vent at all because it has too much volume for the pellet stove to heat in order to create draft.
Although a small percentage risk, it’s to prevalent a chimney fire. My homeowners policy required proof of a liner for our polic.

Although a small percentage risk, it’s to prevalent a chimney fire. My homeowners policy required proof of a liner for our polic.
For a pellet stove that's not really the case it's about sizing properly so the draft is right and the stove works properly. And regardless liners don't prevent chimney fires. A properly sized and insulated chimney liner reduces creosote buildup and helps greatly to prevent a chimney fire from turning into a structure fire. But yes you can absolutely still have a chimney fire in a liner.

All that being said we are talking about pellet stoves in this thread and the risk of creosote buildup is very low unless something goes drastically wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: bostonfan49
scdgny, what stove is this for? How tall is the chimney?

For a pellet stove that's not really the case it's about sizing properly so the draft is right and the stove works properly. And regardless liners don't prevent chimney fires. A properly sized and insulated chimney liner reduces creosote buildup and helps greatly to prevent a chimney fire from turning into a structure fire. But yes you can absolutely still have a chimney fire in a liner.

All that being said we are talking about pellet stoves in this thread and the risk of creosote buildup is very low unless something goes drastically wrong
The liner's main purpose is about creating enough draft. I see now. Thanks.

So i measured in and it's actually about 8" but the concept is clear: 4" liner is about the right size to create draft. I guess that's necessary to keep the fire burning? Thanks.

So i measured in and it's actually about 8" but the concept is clear: 4" liner is about the right size to create draft. I guess that's necessary to keep the fire burning? Thanks.
In a pellet stove no because it has forced induction. The fire will burn regardless but the smoke may not be exhausted out the chimney