Adapting chimney for pellet stove vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scdngy

Oct 24, 2023
Wa State
I'm thinking of removing a section of the 5" cinder block around the red brick next one of 2 chutes in the 30' chimney of my house. Then i will drill/cut/chisel out a 4-5" hole from the red brick and insert a pellet vent, connecting it to a liner going to the chute top. Will the chimney fall over? How much will the removal of some cinder block and brick comprimise the structural integrity? Am i doing something terribly stupid here? Thanks.

I'm thinking of removing a section of the 5" cinder block around the red brick next one of 2 chutes in the 30' chimney of my house. Then i will drill/cut/chisel out a 4-5" hole from the red brick and insert a pellet vent, connecting it to a liner going to the chute top. Will the chimney fall over? How much will the removal of some cinder block and brick comprimise the structural integrity? Am i doing something terribly stupid here? Thanks.
Yes you can cut in a hole for a new thimble

Reactions: scdngy