What was I thinking? :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should do a similar diagram, my stacks are pretty unorganized but it all makes sense in my head. its difficult to keep track of scrounged wood because of the variables of when i get what species and how long they have already been cut for. if i got log length of 5 cords all delivered at once it would be easy, my past scrounges have gone in this order: Half a cord of green oak and a little bit of pine, followed by 2 cords of very well seasoned (about 5years) cut and split mixed hardwoods, followed by 1.5 year cut but not split mixed hardwoods(ash,oak, black birch (2.5 cords) followed by 1/3 a cord of 1-2 year seasoned oak, some split some in rounds.

long story short, my wood is VERY disorganized but i have tried to separate the "seasoned" wood from the green wood.

Well folks, I quit organizing wood by species long ago.

Seasoning is more important to me. I stack by year. Everything of a given year goes into that pile. When that stack has its number come up for burning it gets burned. It is already a bunch of work to make firewood. I don't find it worth the extra effort to keep the stuff bagged, tagged and labeled. Just one dudes opinion.

Shari said:
Jags said:
Oh Shari, Shari, Shari....You got it. You caught wooditis. There is no known cure. The only thing that helps reduce the pain and agony of this disease is to make big pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood. The relief is only temporary and fleeting and then must be repeated on a somewhat frequent schedule. Sorry to hear of this. There is one bright side to it though - many people have built up an immunity towards some of the effects over years of dealing with it. Those people can get relief with less frequent treatments during the fall period of the year.

However - not everybody will build this immunity - Just take Quads for example. :)

Maybe now you can understand my determination to purchase a woodstove and get it installed when I had all that wood sitting out there seasoning. :)

PS I have a 'new' map for 2010/2011 and 2011/2012 already.... :)

Shari

Well................(clears throat), hmm, where's the pics?
Oh, and is that to scale? ;-P

Jags said:

Seasoning is more important to me. I stack by year. Everything of a given year goes into that pile. When that stack has its number come up for burning it gets burned. It is already a bunch of work to make firewood. I don't find it worth the extra effort to keep the stuff bagged, tagged and labeled. Just one dudes opinion.

Common jags I know you got a label machine to tag every piece of wood with time and date with a Pic.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Common jags I know you got a label machine to tag every piece of wood with time and date with a Pic.

RFID - I scan it as it goes into the stove. Inventory control at its finest. It is weighed and compensated with moisture content to provide my program with the specific btu content by piece. That is matched to the local weather to decide on fuel load. From there the pieces get delivered by conveyor to the stove.

Now if I could just train my dog to keep the welding gloves on while loading the stove.......

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

RFID - I scan it as it goes into the stove. Inventory control at its finest. It is weighed and compensated with moisture content to provide my program with the specific btu content by piece. That is matched to the local weather to decide on fuel load. From there the pieces get delivered by conveyor to the stove.

Now if I could just train my dog to keep the welding gloves on while loading the stove.......

Just gald you came clean on the issue at hand!

ColdNH said:
I should do a similar diagram, my stacks are pretty unorganized but it all makes sense in my head. its difficult to keep track of scrounged wood because of the variables of when i get what species and how long they have already been cut for. if i got log length of 5 cords all delivered at once it would be easy, my past scrounges have gone in this order: Half a cord of green oak and a little bit of pine, followed by 2 cords of very well seasoned (about 5years) cut and split mixed hardwoods, followed by 1.5 year cut but not split mixed hardwoods(ash,oak, black birch (2.5 cords) followed by 1/3 a cord of 1-2 year seasoned oak, some split some in rounds.

long story short, my wood is VERY disorganized but i have tried to separate the "seasoned" wood from the green wood.

See, this is why it's SO important to be at least a couple years ahead. Like Dennis. Then you can pick from a veritable smorgasbord (sp?) of splits.
You're right about it being easier to keep track of log loads. I cut as much as I need for a year all in the same time frame, then stack it all in the same spot. Done. Next.
I'll be doing more scrounging this year, but it'll go into the stacks for 2012-13.
No diagrams for me, digital pics are easier, but for now, I don't have various stacks to keep track of. Now, I guess I have that to either look forward to, or to dread.
Maybe a whiteboard near the processing area?! Of course, then, since the rain would wash away the diagram, it would need a roof over the top. Dang OCD.
Heck with that, the whiteboard's going in the woodshed!

Hey, guys, don't tromp too much on this newbie! :) When I first started I didn't know for sure how long wood took to season so I stacked according to species, that way if one type took longer to season I wouldn't be out there sorting through the stacks. I've since learned a lot from this list! :)

PS I bet hubby wished I had "Household cleaning OCD" instead of "Wood stacking / charting OCD".

Shari

Shari said:
Hey, guys, don't tromp too much on this newbie! :) When I first started I didn't know for sure how long wood took to season so I stacked according to species, that way if one type took longer to season I wouldn't be out there sorting through the stacks. I've since learned a lot from this list! :)

Shari

Heck Shari, you were miles ahead of most new stove owners long before you even had a stove. :cheese:

I got nothing bad to say about ANYBODY's method, as long as they are feeding good, dry wood to their stove. Different methods for different folks. As an example: I don't stack until it goes into my shed next to the house for the current years burning. It gets the heaphausen method. I got the room, on cement and the time to let it sit to properly season. Townies probably can't do that, so they stack it into nice neat rows or Holz's and we both end up with seasoned wood. Its all good.

Jags said:

+1

All this stacking by species and maps was giving me a Headache! I can't believe how often people have complimented my stacks saying they can't believe how organized they look whereas I'm just praying they are going to stay up for the 3 years until they get burned. And, compared to you guys having a "this year's stack", "next year's stack" and "the year after stack" doesn't seem so organized. :bug:

PapaDave said:
Shari said:
PS I have a 'new' map for 2010/2011 and 2011/2012 already.... :)

Shari

Well................(clears throat), hmm, where's the pics?
Oh, and is that to scale? ;-P

Well............ you asked for it:

wood_diagram2.jpg

The number of pallets is listed in the 'key'. Pallets are 48" each. Most wood is cut to 18-20" with double rows on each pallet. I am guessing I have around 2-1/2 full cords of hickory to work on and then also the 1 cord of locust that started this whole thread. :)

EDIT: Oops! You asked for photos - my cell phone is not co-operating with me but you can get an idea by other photos I've posted in this thread.

Shari

That's really nice Shari! I mean it. So cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.