What will fit in this space...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiner

Aug 22, 2008
Maryland
I have been looking solely at wood inserts for my fireplace. Now I am starting to look for free standing stoves that might work. That is where I am having problems. I cant find too many that will fit in my fireplace opening.

The fireplace is 36" W x 24" H x 25" D

Can anyone point me in the direction of a free standing wood stove that will fit into that space?

Thanks a lot,
Jim

What happened with the Drolet, Englander and Napoleon searches? There will be less options with a low clearance and a lot more money. A Hearthstone Heritage might squeak in, but it's going to cost maybe twice as much. Is this ok with the budget?

BeGreen said:
What happened with the Drolet, Englander and Napoleon searches? There will be less options with a low clearance and a lot more money. A Hearthstone Heritage might squeak in, but it's going to cost maybe twice as much. Is this ok with the budget?

I just went to Lowes and saw they have englander stoves, the 50-SNC13LC for $799. That's not too bad. Only problem is that it is slightly too tall.

Can you hack off a bit of the legs to shorten it up a bit or will the inspector go ballistic? This might be my best bet if I can get it to work.

Thanks

Mike can answer that for you. Did you price the Englander 13 NCi (insert) while you were there? That is what I was suggesting.

BeGreen said:
Mike can answer that for you. Did you price the Englander 13 NCi (insert) while you were there? That is what I was suggesting.

Unfortunately, they did not have the inserts at this Lowes. Do other Lowes have them? Maybe I'll call them and see if they could order one and give me the price.

Squiner said:
BeGreen said:

I just went to Lowes and saw they have englander stoves, the 50-SNC13LC for $799. That's not too bad. Only problem is that it is slightly too tall.

Can you hack off a bit of the legs to shorten it up a bit or will the inspector go ballistic? This might be my best bet if I can get it to work.

Thanks
actually cutting the legs down is not legal for starters its altering the listed unit so that alone would void the listing. the legs are also the length they are because they need to be so that a large enough air space is below the unit to satisfy the clearance issues for freestanding units. this can be found in NFPA 211 as well.

i would suggest looking at an insert or strictly for a rear flued unit (unfortunately we do not build a freestanding unit which will meet that need) but there are many fine choices out there if a freestander is preferred.

as for the 1500 sq ft area you wish to heat , the 13-nci will handle that unless your outer walls are a sieve for heat loss. also with the sq footage you mention you will not really need a large firebox unit anything from about 1.8 to say 2.5 CF will handle your heat load im sure.

by the way , if you are well insulated , you might look as some of the smaller soapstone units unless price point is a big deal. they do extremely well in well insulated areas due to the softer bleed of heat. i also think that a cast unit will serve well , though with the current issues with VC im sure someone would warn against them (though i feel they will be fine as a company now with the backing of monesson) and vc or jotul are generally the cast units i tend to recommend over most all others. but thats just my personal take on cast units others will come along and give good options other thann those two brands im sure.

with the sq footage you are looking to heat , and the setup you are looking for there are actually a bunch of options, look at all of them first before you try to alter a UL listed stove in any way to fit. you will feel better all around if you can place a stove in that footprint in its intended state and you will thus not have to worry about inspections.

Squiner said:
BeGreen said:

Unfortunately, they did not have the inserts at this Lowes. Do other Lowes have them? Maybe I'll call them and see if they could order one and give me the price.

insert is lowes SOS order , get pricing from the special order desk, if i were at work i could get that for you but im not there and would be tuesday before i can get it for you. i will then if you wish , let me know

If I remember right the last I checked the insert was selling at around $1000.

stoveguy2esw said:
Squiner said:
BeGreen said:

insert is lowes SOS order , get pricing from the special order desk, if i were at work i could get that for you but im not there and would be tuesday before i can get it for you. i will then if you wish , let me know

Thank you both for your help. I'll go ahead and give Lowes a call to get the pricing. Although, I was able to find the insert at ACE hardware online for $999. The free standings were cheaper than Lowes as well so it may be a pretty good price.

Jim

Add about $350 for shipping and I think the local store may be a better price.

Status
Not open for further replies.