1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What will happen if ???

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by allFIREDup, Oct 6, 2012.

1. allFIREDup

allFIREDup Member

Loc:
    Central NH
    wondering if anyone has run the combustion blower on a Harman 43 without the external fan blade? The external fan blade seems to be the culprit for noise. I know it's there to move heat away from the motor but will it really cook the motor if it's removed?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    It's there for a reason. :) My Quads have the external fan also, but some people have used a replacement motor without the external fan. Of course, the two motors are built differently to handle the heat, I suppose. IMHO, do not take off what the manufacturer put on. If they felt that it needed a fan, then they must have realized that the motor frame couldn't handle the heat without help.
  3. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    its not the fan...its the outer bearing. If it is the fan...then it's tinging and you should be able to bend the fins back center to quiet it down. or perhaps clean out the fan and free up the dust bunnies. FYI you aint gonna remove that fan without wrecking the motor....you need bearing pullers and other such manufacturing equipment ....unless you are a small motor tech and have access to some industrial criping and pulling tools. I'd stay away from that ...seems easy until you have to put it back together.