What will I get for $160 a ton?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berg

Feb 18, 2012
utah
First time pellet user here. In fact I haven't burnt a pellet yet. Picked up a Bosca spirit 500
and will install sometime this summer. The stove came with 12 bags of New Earth Premium Pellets
rated 300,000 btu?.. is that per bag?

Anyway today Got quoted $160 a ton for a mfg near me( I pick up) - Buyer beware?
I really don't know much about pellets so school me here. I would like to avoid a ton of
ash but the price of these just seem to good compared to the big box boys.
I think these are ground up pallets. Thought I should buy in while the prices are low. We
had a pretty warm winter here so they may be overstocked.
Opinions?

You get what you pay for.

It is a lot harder top get rid of a ton of bad pellets than you might think. Good luck and let us know. There are over 20-25 post on good pellets and bad pellets. So they should be able to help you on deciding what is a good pellet vs. a bad pellet.

Eric

I have seen people in my area get rid of older pellets cheaper then normal to make way for new ones or just clearance out pellets....WHat do they go for normally?

I'm a believer also that you get what you pay for; but just because they're priced at $160 doesn't mean that they are bad.

I would definitely give them a try. There could be many reasons why they are priced at $160: sluggish winter sales, you pickup, offseason. Ask around maybe you can find someone who has used them.

Tom C.

I agree w/ Eric.

I would NOT buy any large quantity of pellets that I had never burned before, ESPECIALLY since you are new to pellet burning. You might think they're great, but in reality could be terrible junk....especially since they're made of old ground-up pallets.

Infernos are made that way too, and they are the WORST!

Try to stick with some of the better name brands. Since you're in Utah, I would think you could find some of the great northwest softwoods like Bear Mtn, etc.

Reactions: Defiant
I agree w/ Eric.

I would NOT buy any large quantity of pellets that I had never burned before, ESPECIALLY since you are new to pellet burning. You might think they're great, but in reality could be terrible junk....especially since they're made of old ground-up pallets.

Infernos are made that way too, and they are the WORST!

Try to stick with some of the better name brands. Since you're in Utah, I would think you could find some of the great northwest softwoods like Bear Mtn, etc.
X2

Bad pellets do worse for the pellet industry then they help.

Eric

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.