1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What wire clamp for 18 gauge wire?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by dogwood, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogwood

dogwood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western VA
    If you are running 18 gauge thermostat wire (not the armored type) into an aquastat (or any metal electrical box), what kind of wire clamp do you use in the knockout? The standard screw down wire clamps I have always used with larger 12 or 14 gauge Romex won't grab on to the thinner eighteen gauge wire.

They didn't seem to have anything at Lowes that was suitable, and the salesperson didn't know.

Mike

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    18 gauge is usually run without a box, as anything residential 115v must be awg 14 or larger. I've seen electricians just tie a loose knot in the wire inside the box, to keep it from pulling/ falling out, when using a box, though.
  3. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

You can still use the romex wire clamp and just wrap some electrical tape around the wires to make them thick enough to grap.
  4. __dan

__dan Burning Hunk

Strip a short piece of Romex jacket, 1" to 2", and sleeve the thermostat wire with this as it passes through the RX clamp.
  5. nate379

nate379 Guest

Lowe's has bushings that work for this. They are buried in the sea of other electric bushings, fittings, etc. Just need to find a worker that has been there more than 2 days or knows the different between a hammer and left handed metric adjustable wrench. ;)

Don2222 likes this.
  6. dogwood

dogwood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western VA
    Thanks all. Nate, I'll try another Lowes and maybe the Home Depot close by. If no luck I'll wrap something around the wires as suggested.

Miike
  7. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    I always use rubber plugs that are made for this purpose. They fit into the 1/2" knockout and have a small hole in them you can put all kinds of thermostat wires through them and it looks professional and keeps the dust out.

TS
  8. dogwood

dogwood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western VA
    BoilerMan, thats exactly what I was looking for. Where are you getting them?

Mike
  9. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
  10. Beverly Dyer

Beverly Dyer New Member

Loc:
    Georgia
    Agreed, the proper and listed fittings should be used per NEC 110 to clamp cables such as ROMEX® BRAND NM CABLE.

This answer is intended to apply to Romex® Brand NM Cable. For other NM cables, please check with those respective brand suppliers or cable manufacturers. Romex® is a Registered Trademark of Southwire Company.
    This communication is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute advice. As all the facts and circumstances in any given situation may not be apparent, this communication is not intended to be, and should not be, relied upon by the reader in making decisions with respect to the issues discussed herein, and the reader assumes the risk if he or she chooses to do so. The reader is encouraged to consult an expert before making any decisions or taking any action concerning the matters in this communication. All warranties, express or implied, including warranties regarding accuracy, adequacy, completeness, legality, reliability, safety or usefulness of any information, ARE DISCLAIMED. Southwire Company is not liable for any damages however caused and on any theory of liability arising in any way out of the information provided or the reader's use of it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.