What wood smells like ginger when split?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hickoryhoarder

Minister of Fire
Apr 5, 2013
Indiana
I got a little bundle of wood from my local hardware store to split into kindling, which I often do. Their bundles are inexpensive, with squared off pieces from some kind of woodworking business. Usually all red oak, but this time there were a few maple and two pieces that smelled like ginger when cut. The inside of the wood is also about the color of a piece of fresh ginger. My guess is Oregon cedar (sometimes called Port Ortford Cedar). What's yours?

Whatever it is, it's a great smell!
20200309_162153 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Looks like Sassafras
That's what I thought, looking at the grain. I wouldn't describe the smell as ginger, though. hh, did you saw, cut or break it for a fresh whiff? Kind of like a Hall's mentho-lyptus cough drop. ;lol Tons of it here, and probably around hh. Look for orange under-bark, rather coarse bark and odd-shaped leaves. It doesn't burn long, it's a bit poppy in the stove, but will light fast for kindling. It's quite rot-resistant, and I've used dead poles laid on the ground to elevate pallets.
1583884724319.png 1583884796833.png

Yeah, I also associate orange color with sassafras. There was zero orange in the original piece before I split it into kindling. The bark and leaves of sassafras are very familiar to me, but these were pieces from a wood shop -- rectangles -- no bark or leaves.

Too bad I don't have a split of sassafras to compare the smells. Given it's from a wood shop, I'm still guessing Port Ortford Cedar, which does apparently smell like ginger.

Yeah, I never heard of Sass used for furniture. I guess it could have come in with some other wood, and they just busted it for kindling..?
I just wonder how they would end up with a western wood?

Yeah, I never heard of Sass used for furniture. I guess it could have come in with some other wood, and they just busted it for kindling..?
I just wonder how they would end up with a western wood?

My impression is it's a specific wood that might be used commercially across the country. I could be wrong. It's definitely used commercially in the west.

My impression is it's a specific wood that might be used commercially across the country. I could be wrong. It's definitely used commercially in the west.
Have used it for scales on some of the knives that I make.0108191754.jpg

Reactions: hickoryhoarder