What would be fair?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jensent

Apr 22, 2010
central Ill
Was offered a chance to buck,and split wood for a percentage of the firewood. I am to supply the saws,splitter,gas,and labor. The property owner has some nice hickory and oak. The oak is 20 to 30in. dia. x about 35feet. The hickory is smaller diameter same length. The owner will stack and may help buck. What would be a fair percentage for our work.
Thanks
Tom

Tom, you should receive a minimum of 2/3 and preferably 3/4. I hope this helps.

I would go 1/2 if there doing 1/2 the work!

I'm with Dennis, 2/3 or I ain't gonna show up.

A tree isn't worth anywhere near what firewood is. It ain't firewood till its been cut and split. Thats the hard part and worth the most.

Jags said:
I'm with Dennis, 2/3 or I ain't gonna show up.

A tree isn't worth anywhere near what firewood is. It ain't firewood till its been cut and split. Thats the hard part and worth the most.

I would only do 100 percent but oak and hickory and help I would split

Consider HIS/HER needs ............Is he/she "an elderly person who is invalid and only heats their home with wood" or something like that? Is this a thing you can do for him/her from a "humanitarian" point of view?

If he is a hardship case, I'd go do the work for free, and let him have ALL the wood. Just depends on the situation.

We have a family in our church who has a number of children (8 I think, by last count). A number of them are over 16. When we are short on time, money, energy, I call them and ask if their kids would like to come (rake leaves, stack wood, .......whatever the need). They send them over, and their response is simply "pay us what you can." We pay them generously, to the best of our ability, a fair price.

If you happen to be able to take some wood home with you, for your efforts, be gracious and accept what you are offered.

-Soupy1957

If the property owner is going to help cut and split then I would say an even split seems fair, if you are to do most o the work I would not do it for less than 2/3 of the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.