What would you do? I love wood stove, GF has wood allergies...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll post a couple pics tomorrow of our current setup and the second soon to be (maybe) stove room I'm currently working on...

Not sure about the other pic... maybe if I can find one she approves of...

This may be of use. I had been around fireweed in bloom many seasons with no problems. I started wearing contacts (pre-themoserol-free drops) and had no problems with them--unless I was walking, biking, or driving past a field of fireweed in bloom. Then my eyes would start itching and tearing so badly that I couldn't drive sometimes. Remove the contacts--no problem. Get away from fireweed--no problem. Combine them--allergic reaction.

I've never seen reference to this elsewhere, but I think that it's possible my experience is not unique. There may be more than one factor that is at work here--perhaps something that brings her up to the borderline, and whatever is triggering it in your home is pushing her over the critical limit. So even if she does have a smoke allergy, if another sensitivity is also identified, you could try eliminating that and seeing if it helps.

If my wife were allergic to wood, we'd have fewer kids.
Nice one, Highbeam. :) Yeah, further assistance will require pics of GF and stove. :) The usual surpects have been identified. . .maybe we can fine tune a lil'. You're noticing that it coincides with stove operation. Does the stove have a blower? Do you remove ashes before firing up? Ash pan or scoop out?

project240 said:
gzecc said:
I assume you are not stacking/storing any wood in the house? Do you smell smoke during its use?
What specifically could she be allergic to. Are you bringing moldy wood or nice dry splits?
I don't think its possible to be allergic to wood. Smoke, on the other hand is an irritant which could cause your issues. How is your draft?

We do stack about a week's worth of wood inside the house, but unless the stove is burning, she's never been affected by it; which leads me to believe it is more than likely ash/dust from the stove. Our draft is pretty strong and rarely do we get any smoke in the house.
I would remove the wood from the house. Clean well with a hepa vacumn wait a few days and make another fire. Keep the wood out of the house for a few weeks and see what happens.

The allergy panel in my office includes types of wood found in North Central ID. Guess what? People are allergic to cedar, red fir, white pine, and others, but a 10 mg tablet of over the counter cetirizine (zytec) or loratadine (claritin) helps many people.

I started wood burning this season and have found that my daughter, son, and I, who all have some sort of sinus concern with the wood burning. I have tried a tea kettle with little improvement. I did find that when the stove was off we do not have this problem. When the stove is off and it is windy I could smell creosote. I sealed all the lower pipe connections with high temp silicone and have noticed less problems, so far. My daughter isn't complaining about it either.

Allergists can't always find the problem. I'd consider using saline nasal spray and see if the increased moisture in the nose helps. The filter/purifier should be of some benefit. You may consider not placing it next to where you sit, as it draws air to it and the particulates in the air are drawn to you and your GF. Try placing it in a different room, or on the other side of the room. Just some thoughts...

I hope you find your solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.