What would you do with 15k

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$15,000? yahoo!

I'd buy:

a small used bass boat to take my kids fishin in....like a small crawdad with a small trolling motor
a used popup for taking the fam camping....gettin tired of the tenting thing with 3 littles guys
a used crew cab pickup to haul the boat/popup in
any money left over, a solar hot water system for the house

BLIMP said:
TMonter said:
I would like a nice used Extended-Cab pickup and a nice older camper that I can take the wife and kids out camping in.

I must say it's hard to think of getting that kind of money and not being responsible with it. The first thought I had with 15k was home improvement or savings.
gotta ask= how would u improve your home?

Remodel both Bathrooms and our Kitchen. The Kitchen isn't too bad but is in need of new counter-tops to replacing the aging creme colored Formica. New Formica that is salt/pepper pattern would be fine.

The bathrooms are Harvest Gold/Orange and are need of serious redecorating. I was thinking if I get the chance gutting the main bathroom, repairing the floor which was particle board and not duraboard/membrane and installing a new tub/shower countertop and toilet.

This last year I did all new windows, doors, sliding door and new flooring/carpet. I'm still installing the new trim as time allows but it's slow going since I'm out of town working in Portland OR during the week.

I would put it towards my lawn care business I have been wanting to expand. I am sick of working for other people and have been dieing to go full time on my own. If i had any extra (i highly doubt it) me and my wife would go somewhere on a short vacation. Probably somewhere north.

15k would be a chipper and I in business......And send my part-timer to climbing school! lol

TMonter said:
BLIMP said:
TMonter said:
I would like a nice used Extended-Cab pickup and a nice older camper that I can take the wife and kids out camping in.

I must say it's hard to think of getting that kind of money and not being responsible with it. The first thought I had with 15k was home improvement or savings.

Remodel both Bathrooms and our Kitchen. The Kitchen isn't too bad but is in need of new counter-tops to replacing the aging creme colored Formica. New Formica that is salt/pepper pattern would be fine.

The bathrooms are Harvest Gold/Orange and are need of serious redecorating. I was thinking if I get the chance gutting the main bathroom, repairing the floor which was particle board and not duraboard/membrane and installing a new tub/shower countertop and toilet.

This last year I did all new windows, doors, sliding door and new flooring/carpet. I'm still installing the new trim as time allows but it's slow going since I'm out of town working in Portland OR during the week.
totally aesthetix?

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Buy 5 acres in Tennesse, add a double wide, put up fencing, and get the hell outta Dodge >:-(
+1.

If I had to spend it on a convertible, I'd get a z3 3.0. Widespread reports of problems with cracking of the rear floorpan + diff mount though, so make sure you inspect that. . .probably more common on M Roadsters that have been tracked / driven hard. If you want to save $, look at the '96 z3 with the 1.9L four cyl. Only ~140hp, but that may be all the GF wants/needs. Nobody makes a better I-6 than BMW, but the I-4 is better on gas, and handles a lil' better since the nose of the car is lighter.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Buy 5 acres in Tennesse, add a double wide, put up fencing, and get the hell outta Dodge >:-(
+1. :)

If I had to spend it on a convertible, I'd get a z3 3.0. The 3.0 motor is a nice evolution from the 2.8. Widespread reports of problems with cracking of the rear floorpan + diff mount though, so make sure you inspect that. . .probably more common on M Roadsters that have been tracked / driven hard. If you want to save $, look at the '96 z3 with the 1.9L four cyl. Only ~140hp, but that may be all the GF wants/needs. I really like the BMW I-6, but the 4 is better on gas, and handles a lil' better since the nose of the car is lighter.

15 grand? No home improvement? Can't pay down bills?

I think the original post's spirit of intent was spend 15K and have nothing tangible to show for it, because even a boat (nothing more than a hole in the water into which you pour money) can be considered an asset.

15k would definately be time off. I think I'd like to see Europe, or South America, or the Middle East. Some parts of U.S., Alaska, Appliachain trail. Yeah! Definately travel. Its one thing to see a movie, but quite another to know what it smells like.

Like everyone else said, those are some tough rules to abide to, the house could eat that 15k up easily, new paved driveway, new deck, new floors in the kitchen, etc.. so could bills

Rule abiding I would get that slightly used/almost new bow-rider I have been lusting for the entire summer. I am actually currently contemplating selling my 2 seater convertible (honda s2000) so I can have some boat money.

BLIMP said:
TMonter said:
BLIMP said:
TMonter said:

totally aesthetix?

Energy efficiency wise and generally speaking our house is in great shape. We use far less power than other people with 4 kids, we heat with wood and everything in the house is functional. But functional in terms of the bathrooms, it would just be nicer to have them cleaned up better, have properly ventilated fans ect in the house. Plus the bathroom is very dated however because we don't buy things on credit (we pay cash) the bathroom remodel will have to wait for more savings.

Replace the formica with a solid colorcore. We used white solid colorcore on our countertops installed 16 years ago and they still look great. If it gets a mark you can sand it out without worrying about sanding off the top layer and exposing the black laminate underneath.

Well, this is what I just did with a 1/3 of that 15k:

It is an all stainless steel Mountain Top Custom Kennel dog box I just had built. It took three months, I'm glad it's finally here! It's nice if I travel around the Mid-West to field trials.

Attachments

• truck box (800 x 600).jpg
    truck box (800 x 600).jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 267
Take some of it and book some time with a competent therapist. Sounds to me like you could use it.

Capt said:
It's nice if I travel around the Mid-West to field trials.

What kind of dogs do you run? I just lost my little setter groan at 14 years old. She was a field trial dog that I got to hunt a few birds in my spare time. I didn't really understand what field trials were all about. I thought she'd tag along and sniff out some grouse and point nice and pretty. Which she probably was doing... out of my sight, three counties away.

Great dog, with an unbelievable spirit. She'd point anything, even a fly on the wall. The breeder really knew his stuff. I sure didn't, but I miss the hell out of her anyway. Here she is in one of her more subdued moments, warming herself by the hearth.

Attachments

Ah, it's fun to dream.

First off, kudos to you for thinking of your wife first and foremost . . . sounds like you truly are in love . . . and that right there is worth much more than $15,000 . . . finding that special person is really priceless . . .

If I were me and I came into that money . . . and I was going "crazy" by not paying off bills or spending it on the house renovations . . . ah, easy answer . . . I would use it to take my wife to Europe . . . see the Scandinavian countries, Ireland, Scotland . . . and "skip" down to Germany and Austria . . . meet some of her cousins and relatives that she only met a long, long time ago.

Replace the formica with a solid colorcore. We used white solid colorcore on our countertops installed 16 years ago and they still look great. If it gets a mark you can sand it out without worrying about sanding off the top layer and exposing the black laminate underneath.

White definitely wouldn't go well with the kitchen Decor I'd consider a salt and pepper pattern but budget would also be an issue. In the meantime getting all the trim up in my place an purchasing a finish nailing gun instead of constantly borrow a friends are next on my priority list. I'm keeping an eye out on craigslist for a Porter Cable FN250 or similar pneumatic nailer.

TMonter said:

White definitely wouldn't go well with the kitchen Decor I'd consider a salt and pepper pattern but budget would also be an issue. In the meantime getting all the trim up in my place an purchasing a finish nailing gun instead of constantly borrow a friends are next on my priority list. I'm keeping an eye out on craigslist for a Porter Cable FN250 or similar pneumatic nailer.
propane powered nailers / hoseless are sweeter!

I'd split between the restoration of the old truck and what ever Mrs. Flatbedford wanted. Due to the home improvement restriction I suspect we would be on a European vacation.

Capt said:
Well, this is what I just did with a 1/3 of that 15k:

It is an all stainless steel Mountain Top Custom Kennel dog box I just had built. It took three months, I'm glad it's finally here! It's nice if I travel around the Mid-West to field trials.

Nice box. I just let em ride in the cab with me. We`d miss each other too much.

fredtruck.jpg

Me to, but he always wants to drive.

IMG_2388.jpg

Archer39 said:
Me to, but he always wants to drive.

IMG_2388.jpg

From the looks of him I wouldn't argue with him . . . I would let him take the wheel. ;) :)

I think I'd go ahead and take a 3 week motorcycle ride to Alaska....with a rental motorcycle.

The nicest 1980's jeep cj7 I could find for the money.

Battenkiller said:
firefighterjake said:
From the looks of him I wouldn't argue with him . . . I would let him take the wheel. ;) :)

Just don't let him drink. Nice to have a FT DD.

Wait a minute . . . DD . . . this harkens back to Dixie's thread . . . are we talking about darling daughter, darling dog, designated river or drunken driver? ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.