What would you pay for a 40# bag of well-seasoned kindling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
I'm doing some small time wood selling; about 3-4 cords/year. As an added service and to give me a few extra $, I will be offering 40# bags of kindling. I'm getting $50 1/3 cord so I figured another $5 for the kindling. One bag = 2 cu. ft = $5 x 64= $320/cord.

That sound fair? Kindling is very dry, under 20% moisture reading.

As Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute. If you can get any $$$ for kindling go for it. A fool and his money are soon parted

OK, I'm out of old time sayings

I throw in an apple box full of kindlin when I sell a load of wood. Just to make sure I'm right by my customers (who are friends and psuedo-family/co-workers mostly).. I dont set out to sell wood but it always seems to happen! have request for 6 cords total this year.

I would sell small bundles of firewood.....May be that what you already have but at the stores this will go for 5-7 bucks and well under 40lbs. That would be two differnt markets but its there. Not everyone needs a 1/3 of a cord.

I think it fair. $5 does not buy much anymore and I am sure it took you some time to make it. Time is money and you a doing a service that they do not want to do for themselves. Plus it will help them start their fires.

smokinjay said:
I would sell small bundles of firewood.....May be that what you already have but at the stores this will go for 5-7 bucks and well under 40lbs. That would be two differnt markets but its there. Not everyone needs a 1/3 of a cord.

got that covered. $25 1/6 cord. Lots of weekend only burners here in Arkansas.

leftyscott said:
smokinjay said:

got that covered. $25 1/6 cord. Lots of weekend only burners here in Arkansas.

Thats the ticket!

Lots of weekend burners everywhere. That's where the money is.

Get it where and while you can- seems to be the theme. To me , if I know you, keep the change. If I don't know you, well.. I'm not getting wood for you regardless- so there. I'd say take the money and run. Good job.

40# of kindling or 2 cu ft sounds like it would start a few fires. I think $5 is a reasonable price. I have paid more for less at campgrounds.

Sounds like a real fair price, but if I was doing the buying, I'd view the extra charge as petty. If it was doing the selling, I'd charge $75 for the 1/3 cord and throw in 2 cu.ft of kindling for free. $40 buys half that in both cord wood and kindling.

If the goal is to make money, charge what the goods are worth and take the money with a guiltless conscience. $75 for 1/3 cord of seasoned wood is dirt cheap as it is, no need to give it away.

I think its fair. Remember, a lot of people pay a premium for those little bags of cute pine at the grocery...I think it'll be a good seller.

Not sure of your market, but around here, 1/3 cord goes for at least 55-60 bucks. That's green, newly split oak. LOTS of folks around here get log loads, process, and keep most for themselves. The rest goes near the road in small campfire bundles for around $5. Same general size that's seen at the gas stations and small groceries, although those are usually slab wood.
No one is selling kindling that I've seen, and personally, I wouldn't pay for it. Plenty on the property. I think you'd be better off throwing it in (suggested already) and raise your price slightly. Think of the long term result of that perceived kindness. They'll come back, as long as they don't think your overall price is too high.
Where's this wood coming from?

Would I pay personally . . . nope . . . but that's me . . . I get my kindling from using junk wood (i.e. softwood, basswood, etc.), slabs or splitting up a cedar or using the splitter trash that is left over from splitting . . . but again, that's just me.

If I was buying wood I'm not sure I would buy kindling either . . . now if a bit was thrown in as an "extra" that might be a selling point over other folks offering the same product at the same price.

I usually throw in some kindling after they get the wood loaded. It is just a nice friendly thing to do and it makes folks happy. Just a little gift from me saying thank you. Right now I must have just about 1/3 of a cord of soft maple kindling.

leftyscott said:
I'm doing some small time wood selling; about 3-4 cords/year. As an added service and to give me a few extra $, I will be offering 40# bags of kindling. I'm getting $50 1/3 cord so I figured another $5 for the kindling. One bag = 2 cu. ft = $5 x 64= $320/cord.

That sound fair? Kindling is very dry, under 20% moisture reading.
I sell seasoned oak firewood for the same price as you, I offer it as 1/6th of a real cord for $25. I keep a supply of kindling on hand and ask the customers if they want some. If they do, I throw in an armful for free. Normally nobody wants it, except the fireplace people, they almost always take me up on the kindling offer, but the campers and woodstove burners never do.

mikepinto65 said:
I think its fair. Remember, a lot of people pay a premium for those little bags of cute pine at the grocery...I think it'll be a good seller.

I've never seen anyone load the grocery store wood in their cart. Makes one wonder how much of this stuff sells.

Needshave said:
mikepinto65 said:

I've never seen anyone load the grocery store wood in their cart. Makes one wonder how much of this stuff sells.
I've seen lots of people buy it here. And I just shake my head thinking how much cheaper they could get it from me! Every grocery store, hardware store, gas station, and Walmart sells the little bundles; about as much as you could fit in a plastic shopping bag or less. The hardware stores usually charge $3.00 and every place else gets $5.00.

Needshave said:

Me neither, but buy it they do.

My best buddy oversees a kiln-dried firewood operation. It is part of a sheltered workshop for developmentally disabled folks. The operation consists of three converted reefer boxes with fans and uses propane fired burners. They had a standing order from one of the major regional food chains for 25,000 bags of wood a year. They lost the contract when the order jumped to 80,000/yr and they couldn't meet the demand. That's just one local chain (not Wal-Mart), so you can imagine that this is huge on a national level. The stuff is even being brought in from overseas now.

I don't get it, but then there are lots of things other folks do (like burning wood pellets) that I just don't get. ;-P

[/quote]I don't get it, but then there are lots of things other folks do (like burning wood pellets) that I just don't get. ;-P[/quote]

We have a pellet stove that was purchased 12 years ago. They are easy to move and are great for the sholder season. Just not enough BTUs for the dead of winter. We're planning to get away from pellets at the next house. I can understand why die hard wood burners don't understand why some people use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.