what would you recommend for a smaller house to use in the fireplace, can be an insert or freestand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trx680

Sep 27, 2011
Petersburg Virginia
I have a 1200 sq ft house. The fireplace height is only 26 1/4". I'm looking for a stove, with a decent size firebox, that will fit in the fireplace. The hearth itself sticks out 19" beyond the fireplace. I'm open to a freestanding or an insert. I had a Century insert I bought at Northern a few years ago but just wasnt impressed with it. Very small firebox and fire burned out quick.
I'm even eyeing a smaller Fisher such as a Baby Bear. Plenty of firebox there!!

Any recommendations on a stove?

thanks!!

woodstock makes some nice rear venting stoves if you choose to go freestanding

Need full fireplace dimensions, front and back plus the depth to help here. A rear-vented Woodstock like the Keystone is also a good suggestion if the hearth is deep or can be extended.

In cat stoves, take a look at the Blaze King Princess and the Sirocco 25 inserts and see if either will fit. In non-cat the Pacific Energy Super has a good burn time.

Need full fireplace dimensions, front and back plus the depth to help here. A rear-vented Woodstock like the Keystone is also a good suggestion if the hearth is deep or can be extended.
Opening of the fireplace is 26 1/4 " high, 33 1/2" wide, 22 " deep. The hearth comes out another 19"

Check out the inserts mentioned. They will be much more efficient than an old Fisher. Check the rear dimensions of the fireplace too, especially if there is a sharp taper toward the rear.

Last edited:
A rear-vented Woodstock like the Keystone is also a good suggestion if the hearth is deep or can be extended.
Mine just makes it on a 24" hearth.

The Lopi Answer insert would be worth investigating.

Another option for you might be the Buck Stove Model 80 in that it can be freestanding or an insert. Not the fanciest stove but Buck Stoves are pretty solid heaters. It is 22 7/8" deep though.

Status
Not open for further replies.