1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Whatever is handy

Post in 'The Gear' started by JP11, Jan 4, 2013.

1. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I had to put the splitter back after fixing a tire.

Instead of messing with changing the ball on my pickup... this was right there and the right size. Worked great.

IMG_0697.JPG
    PA Fire Bug, csr44, zap and 4 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    Ahhhh... Life in the great frozen northeast! How'd ya get that pavement so snow free?
  3. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Kubota has a loader mounted snow plow. It's power angle too. You can roll it ahead so it rides right on the cutting edge instead of on the plow shoes. When I get to the gravel, I roll it back and let it ride on the shoes.. though, this time of year the gravel is pretty well frozen too, and can be scraped without digging in.

JP
  4. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Nice equipment you have there.
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Yeah, Note in his sig, "Kobota 3450 CAB TRACTOR". So he's ridin' in a heated cab. Is that a 3pt snowblower I see peekin' in the right side of that photo?
  6. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Yes, blower on the back for around the house where it's paved. Loader mount plow for the long drive. Takes about an hour, hour and a half if I'm really cleaning up everything. But..as you said.. with a cab tractor and stereo.. I'm not in a hurry. :)

JP
    Beer Belly likes this.
  7. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    We Mainers know how to roll with the snow.....:)

Attached Files:

8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I thought about fabbing up a set of skis for my splitter, no chit! Then I see this thread and it re-ignited my idea to do just that!
    I've got some really big trees up on the ridge and the only way I'm allowed by my neighbor (who owns the farm) to get them out is with my snowmobile and sleigh.....sure would be nice to take that splitter up in the woods and make those huge rounds (and they are gonna be HUGE rounds) more manageable, while leaving the splitting mess up in the woods......

Hmmmmm......looks like another project.....

Love that sled, JP!
  9. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I bought it from our club for short money one year. I still groom some for them.. it's just I maintain it now. We were scratching together money for a Track Truck that we bought. warmer, cheaper on mtx, and fuel and pulls a 6 foot wide drag instead of a 4. No brainer.
  10. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    I groomed with a Track Truck yrs ago. Nice little machine. Very versatile.
  11. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    We have the 80HP turbo diesel. Most all parts are easily available. Just have fingers crossed we never blow a track hydro drive or a track itself. Those are the only two big ticket items.
  12. nate379

nate379 Guest

13. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice back up light on the skandic ;)
    That the model with the "RER" reverse.
  14. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    its old fashioned gearbox. high, low, reverse. and nate.. we would use that blade to clear the 400 cord of wood we would have to clear to make that sucker fit down the trails. We don't have any state trails... just 38 miles around town.. but we have some great riding.

JP
    ScotO likes this.
  15. NextEndeavor

NextEndeavor Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southern Iowa
    Looks just like my splitter except I tow it around with a JD445. If the snow isn't too deep, my Jeep Wrangler gets the privilege. Great splitter!
  16. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Yep, that's what you need to do.
    Because, as we all know, you don't have nearly enough to do.:p;)
    ScotO likes this.
  17. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    My buddy who lives in Crouseville helps out the Washburn Club . . . this is the Cat they're running . . . it looks a lot bigger in person.

Dairyman, ScotO and PapaDave like this.
  18. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Not the one that our local Club uses, but similar . . . they have a tracked Ford Ranger and Chevy S-10 . . . not quite as nice looking as this one though . . . but they do a nice job on the smaller trails.

Ford.jpg
    ScotO likes this.
  19. ScotO

ScotO Guest

man I'd love to have a set of those tracks for my truck right now......I have 9 logs up on the ridge that I'd like to use for lumber (all white oak and they are big 'uns), something like that would be the cats a$$ for skidding them to my house....
  20. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Jake.. if that s10 is orange.... in the small world category it came from my club. We sold it a couple years back. Know it went up your way somewhere roundabout.

Oh that cat is nice. Maybe I'll put the club in my will.. and they can get one then. Of course.. it would fit down about 10 miles of the 40 in town. but that's fixable. :)
  21. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    No . . . the trucks we have started their life as regular trucks before we converted them over.
  22. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Up your way is an orange one that was donated to us and we converted. it was ok.. but the s10 body is a bit long for our tight trails. we sold it and bought a track truck.