Q&A What's behind wall #1?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My wife and I are in the process of closing the deal on our "new" house. The house is estimated to have been built around 1904 in Paducah, KY (Western Kentucky). It is a well-built victorian farmhouse that has a double fireplace in a wall that is located between the living room and dining room. The fireplaces have been covered with sheetrock, but they both feed into the same chimney.

What might I be in store for when I unveil these things?

What are some of the do's and don'ts I need to be aware of so I don't mess up anything of value?

p.s. - This is my first time dealing with a fireplace!

Answer:

You should definitely have a certified professional chimney sweep look at the fireplaces after you open the wall. There are a number of possibilities including:

1. The fireplace may be perfect, and were only covered after central heat was installed.

2. The central heater in the basement could be vented up through these fireplaces.

3. The chimneys could be unlined (no terra-cotta) and therefore unsuitable for use without some work

4. The chimneys may have been cut off or blocked off at a certain level.

Status
Not open for further replies.