What's in this nest?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you posed. I've seen a lot of them this year too. I cut some out of my paper birch. Never remember having them in the neighborhood in the 12 years I've lived here, this year lots.

they are Fall Webworms, and as I understand it are relatively benign - they appear too late in the growing season to do much damage because the leaves would be dropping soon anyhow. Tent Caterpillars make similar webs but appear much earlier in the summer when they can have an impact on the tree. I'd not worry about the webworms. They have shown up here in central PA in pretty good numbers over the last couple of weeks. They seem to like a side variety of trees.

Reactions: Brewmonster
Status
Not open for further replies.