What's lurking in your wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 1500 with an axe...

Minister of Fire
Mar 26, 2013
New Jersey
My wood has been wet with all of this snow and rain, I was moving wood into my garage this morning, the driest that I had on the outside so I don't run out of good stuff to burn. So, I want to find out how dry the wood is, I split a piece of red oak, stick a moisture meter in it and am pleasantly surprised to get a 15.9% reading, then I look closely and see this....... There were several of them....
image.jpgI'm like wtf is this? Great I'm putting this in my garage....who knows what's in all my other wood.....
So if anyone can tell me what it is that would be great... It's one thing if its in that stage and goes into the fire but I guess my question is what if it sits indoors for a long time? What can you expect from it...... Thanks all
I try not to store wood indoors but its not easy keeping wood dry with this weather...... Thanks All......

looks like it might be a roundhead borer worm - google them and see if it looks right. if so, do NOT transport that wood somewhere else.

I see those grubs quite frequently. They are not active in cold temps....and they pop like popcorn (kidding). Creepy crawlys is one reason I won't store wood inside a heated area. Wood goes from cold to stove.

Yep, that's what it is alright, thanks for the info......

I saw a bunch of them in my neighbor's oak that I split. I had the torch out from killing the ants, so I made a few go pop... ewww. lol.

I have a plastic tub to stick the wood from outside (enough for the night). It goes outside, to the tub, and into the stove.

Wally... DuramaxWithanAxe also in NJ, lol.

I saw a bunch of them in my neighbor's oak that I split. I had the torch out from killing the ants, so I made a few go pop... ewww. lol.

I have a plastic tub to stick the wood from outside (enough for the night). It goes outside, to the tub, and into the stove.

Wally... DuramaxWithanAxe also in NJ, lol.
Ha thanks, after spitting it and it was outside for a few hours, they moved, so I threw it into the inferno....it makes you think for sure.....

You would think that according to the law of the conservation of energy, those grubs would have atleast the same number of btus as the wood they consumed. Probably more. Bonus btu's. Winner winner chicken dinner!

sort of like when I lived in Mystic Island in the 80's and everyone started buying those bug zappers. The satisfaction of hearing a big sizzle amidst the usual zapplings, was amazing.

Even warmed up they aren't going to crawl out of a good food source and start munching pine 2x4's. :) Adult beetles are harmless also, but probably won't show up if indoors a few days. Have caught trout on similar grubs.

sort of like when I lived in Mystic Island in the 80's and everyone started buying those bug zappers. The satisfaction of hearing a big sizzle amidst the usual zapplings, was amazing.

One night twenty years ago, after I had installed one of those useless things in the backyard, I was on the deck doing something and out in the yard a big one got hung up in the zapper and popped, smoked and flamed for what seemed like forever. I heard my wife from the upstairs bedroom yell "Take that you SOB!". I almost fell down laughing.

If and when they are ready to crawl out of their combination fridge/apartment they will have one thing on their minds - sex, and they won't look like a grub any more. Kinda Like a horny teenager. Except the teenager tends to come back for the fridge and the bed.
You can burn the grub and enjoy it and it won't cost ya anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.