What's not to like?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostbit

Feeling the Heat
Aug 4, 2008
Northwest Arctic Alaska
Woke up to a glorious crystal clear day here, a crisp 4 degrees. I promptly built a fire in the Jotul and have kept it burning all day. Its now 10 pm, and the temperature is 9 degrees. I suspect we will be close to zero come morning.

My oil-fired boiler that feeds off of $5 per gallon heating fuel has not run once since I struck the early a.m. match.

I sit on my couch eating ice cream blissfully wood-heat comfortable, thankful for the enterprising Scandinavians that built my stove, and laughing at the Arabs.

stick it to them ahab arabs!

We had ours going last night in VT. By the time we ate dinner, temps outside were in the upper 40's; certainly not as cold as where you were. But it was 81 in the house...and I ate dinner in a t-shirt and shorts...with a door open to help keep me cool. :lol:

Frostbit, for us everything about wood burning is good. Some don't like the extra work involved; we like the exercise plus getting out into the woods during the winter; fresh air and no bugs. Some say it is dirty; we just learn how to better handle things and besides, there will always be cleaning to do. Some don't like the uneven heat; to us it is a lot more even than using a furnace. Besides, whenever we go someplace that has a furnace we almost freeze! At home we are comfortable. Best of all is the dollars we save by heating with wood that is cut on our own place....by us.

In short, wood heat is terrific, but we are hoping you keep that single digit temperature up there for a bit yet.

Franks said:
IS that $5.00 per gallon oil bought last September?

That's a sour subject. The rotten bastages that are the retailers here just got in their winter supply two weeks ago. I know that the wholesale price is down from last year, I know that because the company I work for also brings in several million gallons of diesel fuel for use in power generation. We got our fuel, and the price was substantially lower than last year. However, the local retail thieves have not yet lowered their prices. I have called their office as a consumer, and they refuse to talk to me about it.

As a result, we have seen *zero* reduction in the retail price of heating fuel or gasoline over the price from 12 months ago.

I think its time to start calling for an investigation of sorts, but where does one begin?

greythorn3 said:
stick it to them ahab arabs!
Hey that aint politically correct, but true! :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.