What's OK to burn, and what isn't?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thephotohound

Apr 19, 2007
Central Massachusetts
I have about 20-30 (untreated) 2x4's with nails and screws in them from a recent remodel that I was planning on burning in my outdoor fire pit. However, what's the harm in mixing these in, say at a 3:1 ratio to my firewood? I know if you put all kiln dried pine in a stove, you're looking to burn your house down, but what if it's done in moderation? Then just scoop the nails/screws out later... No, not ideal, but I might as well use the heat indoors, right?

Also, what does everyone think about "winter seasoning", or is there such a thing. I have a truckload of pine rounds, approx. 16-20 inches in diameter... has been sitting in the woods for quite a while, but once it splits, it's dry inside. We get a lot of wind up here, so what if I split and stack this now... ready by March/April for shoulder season burning? Again, mixing in with oak and maple...

I know these scenarios are less than ideal, but it's what I happen to have this year...

I burn lumber scraps sometimes, no problem. Just add them in moderation like you said, or use them for your startup fires. Someone else suggested a magnet to clean up the nails from the ashes.

If those pine splits seem dry after splitting them, they just might be ready to burn. Let 'em sit covered and try them in March/April. Maybe get a cheap moisture meter and measure them to know for sure. I recommend a meter with 2 prongs, not 4. I bought the one with four prongs and can't always get all 4 prongs to seat in the wood and my measurement varies when this happens.

Moisture in the wood will freeze in the winter so it would be difficult to get evaporation.

You can also take the screws and nails out before you burn the lumber. And yes, it is okay as long as they are not treated...but do so in moderation.

Split the pine, bring it inside and test it once it's warmed up to room temp. If it's dry, burns quickly with out sizzling or foaming at the ends, then go for it and get splitting out there. By your description, it sounds like it will still dry well. Even though if may be frozen, some sublimation will occur, especially if the stacks are well ventilated and covered on the top.

FWIW, I mix in clean scrap lumber frequently, especially for starting fires. After the remodel we have boxes of cut offs and scraps in the wood shed. Works fine as long as you aren't trying to burn it all by itself.

You are utilizing a Cat stove, as long as it is a good mix and a hot burn I wouldn't see why not. I would not do it simply because I am burning a smoke dragon.

In any case, try it for a week and check your flue for any creosote.

Happy firing!

ThePhotoHound said:
I have about 20-30 (untreated) 2x4's with nails and screws in them from a recent remodel that I was planning on burning in my outdoor fire pit. However, what's the harm in mixing these in, say at a 3:1 ratio to my firewood? I know if you put all kiln dried pine in a stove, you're looking to burn your house down, but what if it's done in moderation? Then just scoop the nails/screws out later... No, not ideal, but I might as well use the heat indoors, right?

Also, what does everyone think about "winter seasoning", or is there such a thing. I have a truckload of pine rounds, approx. 16-20 inches in diameter... has been sitting in the woods for quite a while, but once it splits, it's dry inside. We get a lot of wind up here, so what if I split and stack this now... ready by March/April for shoulder season burning? Again, mixing in with oak and maple...

I know these scenarios are less than ideal, but it's what I happen to have this year...
You must @ least remove the nails & screws if there is any that are galvanized as the fumes/gases released will destroy the metal compounds in the cat that create the chemical reaction..

Gunner said:
I don't burn anything but cordwood and the odd sheet of newspaper. This stuff could eat a hole in the stove and chimney.

Salt..lubricants..fungicides..polyethylene... glycol

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/homillends.htm

Good article Gunner. I think we all wish there was an unlimited supply of cordwood and except for 2 pieces of newpaper to start a fire that is what we burn.

But for others who have a limited supply or budget this in not the case. It sort of points us in the direction that EPA non-Cat stoves are the answer.

I burn Kiln DRied hardwood almost exclusivly Mix in the 2x4's no problem :)

I would never consider burning strictly mill ends, but at a 3:1 ratio for one season (or even 1/2 season) won't do too much harm. I have the wood, so I might as well use it, right? The only other alternatives are burn it in my outdoor firepit (useless) or toss it (ends up in landfill). In moderation, I'll try burning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.