Whats the deal with the Dutchwest line of stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
I was at a stove shop the other just looking around and the sales guy was really tryin to sell me on the dutchwest line. He led me away from the resolute, defiant, encore lines 3 times back to the dutchwests. Is it really a better stove? Is the margin much better for the dealer?

michaelthomas said:
I was at a stove shop the other just looking around and the sales guy was really tryin to sell me on the dutchwest line. He led me away from the resolute, defiant, encore lines 3 times back to the dutchwests. Is it really a better stove? Is the margin much better for the dealer?

Margin is no better.....

It is made by the same company - and is more of a workhorse where the others are more like fine furniture.... VC originally bought the brand name so they could appeal to mid-level budgets.

He's got that one backwards. Usually one would try to upsell a customer to VC. As for quality etc. they're the same. The markup on the two brands is the same (atleast in my store) but you make more money off of a VC since they're more expensive. If you want a VC then buy a VC but I don't think the sales guy has any alterior motive in trying to sell you a Dutchwest. Maybe he just personally likes them better.

Status
Not open for further replies.