1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What's the minimum height for an expansion tank in a non pressurized system?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by GS7, Nov 9, 2013.

1. GS7

GS7 Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Is there a minimum height to hang a horizontal expansion tank in a non pressurized gasifier set up? Ceiling in boiler room is only 75inches. Boiler is 60 inches. Could never fit the 16 inch diameter expansion tank in between floor joist. Could the limited height risk performance in any way?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ewdudley

ewdudley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cayuga County NY
    Don't understand you terminology. Non-pressurized and expansion tank don't usually go together.
  3. GS7

GS7 Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Ok I'll send you a pm
  4. Lapeer20m

Lapeer20m Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    I built an owb that is non pressurized. without an expansion tank it would spew water out the overflow when it was hot. When it cooled down the boiler was no longer full to the top. I cannot answer the op's question, but in my case a put a 5 gallon tank with a vent directly on top of my boiler. This solved the problem for me.
  5. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    My boiler manual specs 2.5 metres above the highest radiator in the system, for a vented expansion tank.
  6. GS7

GS7 Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    If yours is directly on top and non pressurized as well, guess I should be ok
  7. Lapeer20m

Lapeer20m Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    I suppose its also important to note that my boiler is the highest point in the system.