What's the Tallest Hearth You've Seen?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
My parents have bought a new house (an old house, but new to them). They are downsizing. The home has a chimney that can be used for a wood stove and the wheels are turning in my Dad's head - much to the dismay of my Mom!

Years ago, he had an old VC Defiant that was a top load. He had a love/hate relationship with the stove and eventually got rid of it for a pellet stove and now has a very leaky pot belly stove. He has seen my Keystone and likes it. He likes the idea of an efficient, clean burning stove.

The problem is - it is difficult for him to deal with a side loader. Top load would be better for him, but in my neck of the woods, really the only top loader sold is a Vermont Castings - which he doesn't want.

I've seen some raised hearths that were about 12 inches tall, but that's about it.

Anyone seen a taller hearth that would get a side loading stove higher up - making loading from the side door less of an effort on an old back?

Thanks!!!!!
Bill

Do a google search for "raised hearth" and I'm sure you'll get tons of ideas, if your parents are willing I'm sure someone can build one that will work well.

While searching for a taller hearth design bear in mind there are also ceiling clearances to wood stoves.

***OFF TOPIC***

Rent "Citizen Kane", and you'll fall out of your chair.

One of its themes is eternal excess in response to internal poverty, and once Kane builds his dream mansion (modeled on Hearst Castle), it has a fireplace you can literally stand in.

***BACK ON TOPIC***

What Shari said.

A manufacturer's spec for ceiling clearance can be mysterious. Many don't list them explicitly and, for example, Woodstock never replied to my inquiry about theirs (I'm sure they're busy providing the amazing customer service that paying customers rave about.)

My various requests for expert guidance left unanswered, my best guess is to go from the manufacturer's spec for "alcove clearance", even if your stove isn't in one. Specifically, calculate the distance from the stove top to ceiling in their alcove spec, and use that in general.

That clearance can be reduced by using appropriate shielding--search around in the "Main informational articles" and Wiki--it's in there somewhere. My vague recollection is a ventilated non-combustible shield can reduce ceiling clearance by 50%, but don't take my word on that.

Or you could just go my route, say screw it, and put in a completely non-combustible ceiling.

In any case, I think that a conveniently raised stove could be a nice thing, and do-able.

HTH, and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.