What's this thing on back of my Jotul F3CB?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I am getting ready to perform the final break-in burn on my new Jotul 3CB. It has something on the back which the parts diagram calls a secondary air inlet. It is a square area that slightly protrudes from the back. Is this where extra combustion air enters to meet EPA requirements to minimize smoldering? I noticed my logs still burned pretty good with all air inlets closed. In fact I was surprised at the continued combustion as I was trying to cool the stove off after having reached my 300 degree 2nd burn-in temp.

Also, I noticed a few drips of something black had leaked onto my new slate hearth from this area. What's up with that??

Not familiar with your stove, but I would guess your right, and this is where your secondary combustion tubes receive the air they need to do thier job.

The black drips could be paint or something from the curing process? Keep an eye on it.

I have the same stove. I think you are right that area in the back is for secondary air. I didn't notice any black dripping from mine but there was a smell from the paint. Maybe yours is dripping paint? That would surprise me especially if you only went to 300 degrees-doesn't seem hot enough to melt paint. Maybe elk will know. Let us know when/if you find out.

i did the final burn-in to 400 last night and nothing came out....

No sign of that from my 3CB when it broke-in either. Maybe it was some leftover lutefisk? :) Paint smell will be gone soon, then you can bask in the warmth and glow of the new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.