Whats typical production for a Pellet Mill?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
There is talk of a Biomass Energy plant going into the town next to mine, about 5 miles from my house. The plan is for the plant to generate 34 megawatts of power and around 110,000 tons of pellets a year.

My question: How does 110k tons of pellets compare to other pellet makers? Is it more, less about the same? I also have no basis as to how much power 34MW is, but was more curious about the pellets. Supposedly if this plant goes through, construction will start and be done in about 2 yrs from start. It will also lower property taxes in the area by around $600/yr (on $160k house). There is alot of good that can come from this, not all monetary either-which is why its hard to believe that it will happen, LOL!

So they are going to make their own pellets and turn them into energy (electricity)?

Any links we can look at?

Franks said:
So they are going to make their own pellets and turn them into energy (electricity)?

Any links we can look at?

From what I understand and maybe someobody can clear this us, they will do 29 or 34 MW of power (stories vary) AND make wood pellets.

Here is the website:

http://beaverwoodenergy.com

It actually sounds pretty cool....

110K tons is a pretty good sized production...not the biggest, but bigger than some.

I believe NEWP's plant in NY is a 100,000 ton plant. As for power generation, I think what they are doing is producing steam with the excess heat used in drying the wood chips. Steam spins the turbine and you end up with elect. power.

Just remember for every ton of pellets it will take 1.1 to 1.3 tons of sawdust/raw material.

Eric

If thats the case, it sounds like a great project. Lower taxes, lower local price on pellets, maybe lower utility bills, creates jobs. Sounds like a win/win

I don't know what is typical. I do know that Treecycle was rated at 55,000 ton/year, and the new Great American Pellets plant in Palmerton PA is rated at 35,000.

Treecycle said that they planned to generate electricity also at their pellet plant, but that never happened.

Franks said:
If thats the case, it sounds like a great project. Lower taxes, lower local price on pellets, maybe lower utility bills, creates jobs. Sounds like a win/win

It is a win win, pretty much why I expect the State of VT to shoot it down....LOL

You ACTUALLY believe that your taxes will go down?????? There's not a chance that the politicians will see that windfall of money and find new pork projects for it???? Dream on..............

tjnamtiw said:
You ACTUALLY believe that your taxes will go down?????? There's not a chance that the politicians will see that windfall of money and find new pork projects for it???? Dream on..............

No, I don't expect my taxes to go down at all, especially since its not in my town, LOL! But according to the article in the paper IF (and this is a HUGE IF) spending stayed at current levels than property taxes on a house assessed at $163k would go down an average of $573.

To me what this says is that the politicians will find a way to increase spending (even with a budget deficit) and keep taxes the same as they are. I won't see any property tax advantages though since its in the town next to me. I may end up with some cheaper electricity and pellets though, which is all I really am worried about.

Bigjim13 said:
tjnamtiw said:

No, I don't expect my taxes to go down at all, especially since its not in my town, LOL! But according to the article in the paper IF (and this is a HUGE IF) spending stayed at current levels than property taxes on a house assessed at $163k would go down an average of $573.

To me what this says is that the politicians will find a way to increase spending (even with a budget deficit) and keep taxes the same as they are. I won't see any property tax advantages though since its in the town next to me. I may end up with some cheaper electricity and pellets though, which is all I really am worried about.

The last two reasons are good enough to encourage it to come your way. I wish they did that down here in Georgia where there are HUGE pine forests grown for timber and pressboard chips as well as a LOT of chips and pellets shipped exclusively overseas. :(

I will be surprised if the taxes went down. Around here housing prices went way down along with the rest of the US. Back when things were booming they would assess as often as they could so now houses are taxed at 30% above the actual market value. Now you never see them out assessing for 30% less. Why is this? Town workers are used to the OT they get for doing the town 500 (driving in circles around town burning gas) and the education need new Beamers. Kids are spoiled with the town supporting projects that parents should be paying for. I drive an old 80s truck and shake my head when I see the brand spanking new Macks roll by. Like we really needed that, but hey the fatty driving it needs the AC because they are unhealthy and the town health insurance premiums would be even higher without it.

Who pays for the connection to the grid for the 34 MWatts? It sounds like a good sized mill.

34 megawatts is a small generator, in my town we have a peaking plant with 5 50 megawatt gas turbines.. The 50 megawatt turbines run on GE aircraft type engines. In theory, a megawatt will power 1,000 average homes.

iron stove said:
34 megawatts is a small generator, in my town we have a peaking plant with 5 50 megawatt gas turbines.. The 50 megawatt turbines run on GE aircraft type engines. In theory, a megawatt will power 1,000 average homes.

How much are you paying per kwh? Those gas turbines are the most expensive way to produce electricity. They have these nice TV commercials touting how clean the turbines burn but they don't tell you how costly they are to run. :)

turbotech said:
I will be surprised if the taxes went down. Around here housing prices went way down along with the rest of the US. Back when things were booming they would assess as often as they could so now houses are taxed at 30% above the actual market value. Now you never see them out assessing for 30% less. Why is this? Town workers are used to the OT they get for doing the town 500 (driving in circles around town burning gas) and the education need new Beamers. Kids are spoiled with the town supporting projects that parents should be paying for. I drive an old 80s truck and shake my head when I see the brand spanking new Macks roll by. Like we really needed that, but hey the fatty driving it needs the AC because they are unhealthy and the town health insurance premiums would be even higher without it.

Who pays for the connection to the grid for the 34 MWatts? It sounds like a good sized mill.

WELL SAID TURBO!!

Cant believe how town get new vehicles every 2-3 yr's, there excuse ohh it cost's more to maintain...WELL DUMBASS that's what your playing that Fatass mechanic to do!.....but woa.......I can do that so he say's send it to a dealer meaning ..ME!

Oh I agree and will eat my hat if taxes actually go down. We have seen a pretty decent spike in our electric bill in the last 5 yrs. Part of that is due to a nuclear plant shutting down and now it's business owners and politicians against the "green gang" and "green" politicians debating whether the plant will be upgraded and deplaned.

Just to get an idea, our electric bill went from around $35/mo 5 yrs ago to between $75-$80 this year. Our house is pretty average, me, my wife and daughter with avg light and appliance use so it's been a pretty big jump.

I really hope this works out, it could be good for a # of reasons.

How's $200 a month electric sound to you?, what you running a LIGHT BULB?, my cheapo broinlaw pay's that for a few lights and a tv.
1000 kWh typical monthly here. locked @8.99 cent a kWh

Pellet-King said:
How's $200 a month electric sound to you?, what you running a LIGHT BULB?, my cheapo broinlaw pay's that for a few lights and a tv.

Is that a normal price for electric? I have heard of people with huge electric bills but thought that was mainly people who heat with electric.

Bigjim13 said:
Pellet-King said:

Is that a normal price for electric? I have heard of people with huge electric bills but thought that was mainly people who heat with electric.
It depends where you live and who is the electric co. I pay 12.5 cents / kWh with out the pellet & wood stove it would not be a pretty site

Here is central Maine, our electric rates are a third higher than what you have quoted. I just got my lowest bill in months at $154 with only my wife and me. No electric hot water or heat. Nearly all my lamps are those curly CFU's All my appliances have been replaced within the past 5 years. All outside lighting is on light sensors. Have a lot of solar lighting. Do have a lot of electronics that run in sleep mode, and one freezer. I do have a very old well pump that came with the house in 1975. By the way, that last bill was after the installation of the "Smart Meter"
I would welcome "most anything" that really lowered rates. In the meantime. I need to do more to chase whatever is eating electricity.
One other very potential benefit of have a new pellet plant go in is the jobs. Anybody on a working payroll is a +++ to a community.

Ok-Seeing those rates I really have nothing to complain about- really! I just wonder though how much longer we can continue on the path of rising prices and costs. I don't know how things are elsewhere, but it seems like the cost of everything has gone up and up, and my paycheck doesnt realty keep up. At this point I am all for any way of generating jobs, growth and lower prices HERE, not in some place infant pronounce let alone spell.

My budget electric bill (2 heat pumps) is $355/month in Georgia. With the pellet stoves, I've been 'banking' about $200 a month toward the summer when we HAVE to run those damn A/C units. Sure wish they made pellet air conditioners. The summer rate goes way up because they have to kick in those nat. gas turbines to supplement the nuke and coal generators. All of the extras they tack on make you sick. We even pay sales tax on the municipality 2% tax!!! Now that ain't right.
I installed something called The Energy Detective that shows whole house usage. I used the KillaWatt to look at individual 110 volt loads but this thing shows everything and it's a great way to hunt down those phantom users, like save$ was talking about. It has it's drawbacks though, so before you buy one PM me and I'll fill you in on what they DON'T tell you. Also,, I have a Twitter page, energy_detectiv that lists some of my trials and tribulations without getting sued. You can buy them at some Lowes, which I would recommend because you can take it back if it doesn't fit your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.