What's wrong with the Buck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmore

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2014
Baltimore MD
Last season was my first and I had great results with the Buck 91 in burn times and clean glass. I knew my wood was not great as I had recently cut up fallen oaks only months before burning. This year I was ready. Wood split, stacked, covered 1-2 years. I also had the flue liner swept clean. It's been warm so have only done a few burns. Mostly wanted to test the wood. I burned oak, and maple with terrible results. Thought it must have been wet wood due to the gunk build up on the glass but....
I can't keep anything burning with the damper bypass closed. Wood burns nice and hot until I close the bypass? Then it mostly goes out. I have the air turned all the way up and temps are low with partially burned wood left over. Last night was the first 30f temp so I loaded the box with my best oak. It is 15% on outside of splits and 17% inside a fresh re split (just checked). It was a hot reload and I stuffed 8 med lg splits inside. When I close the bypass the fire would die. I kept the bypass open too long in the process and had the fire way too hot. Closed the bypass and the fire died, but the stove roared and started a liner fire. Firebox flames were almost out but liner started glowing red!!!. I shut down all air and ran out side to check chimney. Only heavy smoke and no sparks. Eventually went back in and things were under control. I opened the air back up and smoke came out of the intakes. Smoke also came out of the bypass rod which was now coated in gummy tar? I ended up burning the load with the bypass open, and air shut. It was so hot that the cat was at 1000 and I saw secondary burning flames, with the bypass open?
Not sure if my cat is bad or clogged or liner is blocked? Cat was new last year. Bought a cheaper brilo pad looking combustor online. No problems last year? Can't even burn this year?
Any thoughts? Thanks

I would give both a good cleaning and then see what happens .i would think it's probably that the flue is clogged.

My guess is the cat, I would purchase a factory style cat. I don't think I've read any glowing reviews of that style cat.

Would this be the Clear Skies cat?

Yes, Clear Skies brilo pad. Took of the cat sheild and found the catalyst filled with fine ash. The design doesn't seem to allow anything to pass through it. I sucked out all that I could and stove is working better. I need to order a new gasket to remove the whole housing for a thorough cleaning. What a pain. I guess I'm in the market for a new ceramic cat. So far I have found ones made by Condar and Fire Cat. Haven't searched for reviews yet here but will give it a shot. Thanks

You can use a shop vac to clean it out or for a deep clean let it simmer in 50/50 distilled water and vinegar. I have run at least 30 cords through mine and it's still going strong though the top side of the car is starting to become brittle and crack more.

Status
Not open for further replies.