whats wrong with this chain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gizmos said:
The chain is looking real dirty and dull...
We still don't know if it IS dull or just LOOKS dull. Yes, the chain will run hotter with poor oiling and a hotter chain will bake on tree juice to look like that but I've never heard of poor oiling actually dulling a chain. A dull chain will run hotter too with the same baked look.

Agree on the burnt sap, also agree that the rakers may be a touch high. I cut my bar oil with auto trans fluid in cold weather. As far as oiling, I clean the bar groove when I sharpen, check oiler output etc. If that saw happens to be an MS 290 they seem to oil better with the oiler set back just slightly from full open. I like my saws to sling oil so I can see it paint a strip on a fresh cut in a few seconds. 1 tank of oil to one tank of fuel except on the 14" bar, only cause that's all the oil the little saw will put out. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.