What's your cutoff point?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lass:
"I drove a Pontiac Bonneville for 10 years before the RAV4. Inside of the warranty period for that Bonneville it had more visits to the dealer for exhaust manifold issues than oil changes it needed. Granted, I ended up with an entire new exhaust system at 35,500 miles "

I'm not sure you can throw the entire U.S. auto industry and workforce off a cliff based on that single experience.
Here's mine. I bought a 1993 S10 Blazer, I put 175,000 miles on it with NO repairs other than a muffler, which cost $49.00. My wife's Honda needed the entire exhaust system replaced at 69,000, cost was $1100. I drove a 1986 F350 diesel truck with 190,000 miles on it. I have a 2001 Lincoln Continental that gets 24mpg highway with 132,000 miles, and no repairs. My son's Honda accord LX has gone through an exhaust system, alternator, water pump and 3 CV joints in 100,000 miles.

Americans can and DO build a quality product. That was not always the case...granted. Not all products are quality products, whether they are foreign OR American. If we don't bail them out, and I don't think we should, at least not yet, then they'll have a chance to restructure without the anchor of the current union demands, and have a chance to rebuild a foundation industry in this country, and that is VERY important.

And yeah...my electric bill went up too. Hard to say just how much is due to the pellet stove because so many other factors in the house have changed.

Now if they'd just build a couple of hundred reactors...we'd see our foreign oil dependancy drop pretty dramtacially.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.