Whats your wood worth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure it is difficult to put a price on the wood. When someone has burned wood for as long as we have we rarely even think about the time we spend putting up wood. I do sell some wood from time to time but not much and I do not advertise either. We do on occasion sort of help out some less fortunate souls with wood.

So what do we have? Well seasoned wood for sure! We probably have enough on hand right now to get us through the winter of 2019-2020, give or take. I have no idea how many hours it took to put up this wood nor do I care. But if we heated this house with propane or oil and kept it at the same temperatures that we do now, it would be scary for sure! We keep our house 80+ all winter long. I know of nobody who would even consider that heating with gas, oil or electric. (I just checked because it is a bit warm in here right now and the temperature is 88. I'm sitting here with a t-shirt on and am very comfortable. My wife has less on and that I like.)

So what is my wood worth? Too difficult to calculate the price but it gives me great pleasure for sure.

I have three seasons of heat stacked in the yard. If I heated with oil it would be about $3,500 to $4,000 a season. So my 12 cords are worth about $1,000 each to me. That does not include the $50/month saved on the gym membership...

In our area unseasoned face cords sell for about $130 each, kiln dried about $230 (LI is expensive). At that rate my stacks are worth about $4,500 to $8,250 depending on how long it has seasoned .

KaptJaq

I forgot to add the gym membership ==c

If you butt three face cord aside each other to equal a cord, is the middle row still a face cord ?

Ewww a legitimate firewood joke, I love it.

I sold about 2/3 of a cord this winter to a neighbor for $100. It was some 2.5 year seasoned black and white oak. Most of the splits were what I would consider "uglies"...mostly crotches and knots. Good burning stuff, but tough to tightly pack into the stove. I wasn't sad to see it go.

That being said, I don't think I'll ever sell any again. Time is getting too valuable to sell to others.

I will still continue to cut for my own use as I figure it is worth about $275/cord in terms of offsetting propane use. You can buy a cord all day long for $150 here. If it takes me 8 hours to make a cord of firewood, then I'm making $18/hour to sell to someone else...or $34 to burn myself.

Reactions: ScotO
To me having an independent source for heat for our home and family truly is priceless. I would never process the wood if I didn't enjoy the heat so much. Some friends ask to buy some but I'd rather put them to work and earn a truck load and really appreciate what it takes to have it.....

Bingo! That wood is my independence from the fluctuations of the price of oil.

That... and my money doesn't go to fund nations which hate our mere existence.

Well considering the wood stove is going 5 - 6 months and I figure it cuts my electric bill by 2/3 or better that comes out to about $1500 - $1800 more or less plus the enjoyment using it.

Twas out there staring at my rows of wood, which I like to do now and then. You know. Wander through the rows. Adoring my accomplishments. Checking out which wood will burn which year etc. Cmon, I know you all do it. :)
I got to thinking. If I was to sell all this wood, what would it sell for? What is it worth? I have about 11 cords or 33 ricks. I'm figuring 3 ricks per cord. Around here a "rick" of wood sells for average $50.00. At that price my wood would be worth $1650.00. Then I realized, that's not what it's worth to me.
I use propane when I use my furnace. Everything else is electric. In an average winter , burning no wood, best I can remember, I used between 400 and 600 gallons of fuel. Lets say 500 gallons.
I called about propane today to get prices. Right now propane is $1.69 per gallon. She said the highest it got this winter was $1.89. When I rented my tank, I remember paying about $2.69. So if I go with average of $1.79 per gallon, I would have spent roughly $900.00 on fuel this winter. So........... I have 11 cords of wood which should last me about 5 years. 5 years x $900.00 is $4500.00. THATS what my wood is worth.
Of course that's a very rough estimate because of fluctuating prices in fuel, milder winters etc. But I'd say that's the least it is worth. Our winters have been mild and propane right now is pretty cheap...
I filled my propane tank at a discount rate of $1.40. per gallon because it was my first fill. That was 3 years ago and I've only used about 25% of the tank. I paid $559.60 for it and I should get at least another 3 years out of it. Plus, lets not forget the lack of wear and tear on my heating unit. So that can add to what my wood is worth too.
Whats your wood worth?
I'm sitting on 25 cords minimum and another 4/5 that are cut and not yet stacked,as far as worth a few on this board more or less told me it's worth,when in personal pm's asked if they could buy a couple well seasoned,I said a couple sure $1fitty ,never heard from them again so I guess that's what they thought it wasn't worth,bottom line to me it's worth alot more,but no wood for sale go find your own.

I'm sitting on 25 cords minimum and another 4/5 that are cut and not yet stacked,as far as worth a few on this board more or less told me it's worth,when in personal pm's asked if they could buy a couple well seasoned,I said a couple sure $1fitty ,never heard from them again so I guess that's what they thought it wasn't worth,bottom line to me it's worth alot more,but no wood for sale go find your own.

Yep, Wouldn't be worth it to me to sell any of my wood. It's worth much more to me than anything they'd be willing to pay. Plus , it would set me behind on seasoning. Most people would look at my wood stacks and think I could spare plenty to sell................. NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.