1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Whats your wood worth?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by westkywood, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    For sure it is difficult to put a price on the wood. When someone has burned wood for as long as we have we rarely even think about the time we spend putting up wood. I do sell some wood from time to time but not much and I do not advertise either. We do on occasion sort of help out some less fortunate souls with wood.

So what do we have? Well seasoned wood for sure! We probably have enough on hand right now to get us through the winter of 2019-2020, give or take. I have no idea how many hours it took to put up this wood nor do I care. But if we heated this house with propane or oil and kept it at the same temperatures that we do now, it would be scary for sure! We keep our house 80+ all winter long. I know of nobody who would even consider that heating with gas, oil or electric. (I just checked because it is a bit warm in here right now and the temperature is 88. I'm sitting here with a t-shirt on and am very comfortable. My wife has less on and that I like.)

So what is my wood worth? Too difficult to calculate the price but it gives me great pleasure for sure.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. westkywood

westkywood Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kentucky
    I forgot to add the gym membership ==c
  3. ChrisNJ

ChrisNJ Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Burlington County
    Ewww a legitimate firewood joke, I love it.
  4. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I sold about 2/3 of a cord this winter to a neighbor for $100. It was some 2.5 year seasoned black and white oak. Most of the splits were what I would consider "uglies"...mostly crotches and knots. Good burning stuff, but tough to tightly pack into the stove. I wasn't sad to see it go.

That being said, I don't think I'll ever sell any again. Time is getting too valuable to sell to others.

I will still continue to cut for my own use as I figure it is worth about $275/cord in terms of offsetting propane use. You can buy a cord all day long for $150 here. If it takes me 8 hours to make a cord of firewood, then I'm making $18/hour to sell to someone else...or $34 to burn myself.
    ScotO likes this.
  5. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Bingo! That wood is my independence from the fluctuations of the price of oil.

That... and my money doesn't go to fund nations which hate our mere existence.
  6. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I bust my azz cutting, splitting, stacking, and dealing with my woodstack. Not to mention I make some jingle by cutting it (I do tree removal on the side). So monetarily, it's worth a fortune.

As for what it's NOT worth.......YOUR LIFE. So stay away from my firewood stacks!! :mad: :p ;)
  7. Mo Par

Mo Par Member

Loc:
    The Hereford Zone, Maryland
    Well considering the wood stove is going 5 - 6 months and I figure it cuts my electric bill by 2/3 or better that comes out to about $1500 - $1800 more or less plus the enjoyment using it.
    Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.
  8. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    I'm sitting on 25 cords minimum and another 4/5 that are cut and not yet stacked,as far as worth a few on this board more or less told me it's worth,when in personal pm's asked if they could buy a couple well seasoned,I said a couple sure $1fitty ,never heard from them again so I guess that's what they thought it wasn't worth,bottom line to me it's worth alot more,but no wood for sale go find your own.
  9. westkywood

westkywood Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kentucky
    Yep, Wouldn't be worth it to me to sell any of my wood. It's worth much more to me than anything they'd be willing to pay. Plus , it would set me behind on seasoning. Most people would look at my wood stacks and think I could spare plenty to sell................. NOT