Wheat Straw Pellets in a Magnum Baby...Yay or Nay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GMadd

Oct 15, 2014
Highland, NY
I have been burning Granules LG and WarmFront with good success in my Magnum baby. I found a local company that makes pellets for local farmers. One ton is about $200. I like the price and I like that its local. I am worried about too much ash. I got a 30 lb trial bag. Should I try it? Which burn pot should I use, the corn one? Thanks.

It is a biomass fuel
Try the 30 lb bag and let us know. Your stove does say wood/corn and other biomass fuels bt was only tested to the wood and corn

Found this on a search. Looks like a lower end btu

Q: What are the approximate BTU per pound of some pellet fuels??
A: Alfalfa Pellets = 7729 BTU/lb
Aspen Pellets = 8501 BTU/lb
Corn - Shell = 8100 BTU/lb
Dried Distillers Grain (DDG) = 9400 BTU/lb
Hardwood Pellet = 8573 BTU/lb
Oats = 8242 BTU/lb
Soybeans = 10230 BTU/lb
Straw-Wheat Pellets = 7375 BTU/lb
Straw-Oat Pellets = 7626 BTU/lb
Sugar Beet Pulp Pellets = 7345 BTU/lb
Sunflower Hulls = 9654 BTU/lb
Wheat (Hard Red Spring) = 8063 BTU/lb

Whoa...soybeans are really that hot?! thats odd...never woulda thought!

Soy beans will destroy a stove. Way too much oil in the kernel.

You can mix a little in with pellets or corn and pelletsbut damn little.

Theres a reason the bags are 30 pounds. Not very high density.
Minnesota mandates use of soy-bio oil in fuel

Never thought about sunflower seed hulls ... Manitoba and Minnesota have processing plants but the stove likes spf pellets :rolleyes:

T
The heat energy content of a substance is not really related to the temperature of that substance when it is oxidized (burned corroded, rusted, etc.) So the temperature of the oxidizing pellet in a pellet stove could be higher and the pellet's energy content (but/lb) could be lower than other pellets.

Last edited:
If I had a way to pelletize DDG, I'd give that a shot. It's not much in the way of feed supplement for cattle imo. Probably a lot of ash though.

Pelletized chicken manure is available to me, not sure the heat output justifies the cost however.

I would certainly give it a go.

We heat with nut shells, and have for many years.

Biomass fuels are a nice way to go if you can get them

Reactions: GMadd
I would certainly give it a go.

We heat with nut shells, and have for many years.

Biomass fuels are a nice way to go if you can get them

Thanks. I agree, why not! I'll let you know how it goes.

Might want to do a deep clean on exhaust pathways and venting to get a truer picture of how well they burn....

If I had a way to pelletize DDG, I'd give that a shot. It's not much in the way of feed supplement for cattle imo. Probably a lot of ash though.

Pelletized chicken manure is available to me, not sure the heat output justifies the cost however.

I ran some bagged pelletized DDG's several years ago in my 6039. They did very well. They burn fine in a multi-fuel stove. It's all about air/fuel settings and dumping the ashpan.

Should do fine then. I have a modified 6041HF. Not sure if I can get any pelletized DDG to try but the bulk stuff is real cheap here, the e-plant is just up the road. Now, I need to think about a pelletizer. I should be able to forego a hammermill and just slurry it and run it.

Interesting, I had no idea there were so many variations. Probably few or none available near me, the only outdoor product growing around here is feral cats and I have no idea how one would pelletize them.

A: Alfalfa Pellets = 7729 BTU/lb
Aspen Pellets = 8501 BTU/lb
Corn - Shell = 8100 BTU/lb
Dried Distillers Grain (DDG) = 9400 BTU/lb
Hardwood Pellet = 8573 BTU/lb
Oats = 8242 BTU/lb
Soybeans = 10230 BTU/lb
Straw-Wheat Pellets = 7375 BTU/lb
Straw-Oat Pellets = 7626 BTU/lb
Sugar Beet Pulp Pellets = 7345 BTU/lb
Sunflower Hulls = 9654 BTU/lb
Wheat (Hard Red Spring) = 8063 BTU/lb