1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

When a pellet stove loses power

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by hemlock, Jul 28, 2011.

1. hemlock

hemlock Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    east coast canada
    A thread in the "Hearth" forum got me thinking. If the power goes out, or even flickers, what happens to the pellet stove? Will it re-ignite on its own when the power comes back on? What about the exhaust? Does the house fill with smoke? My vent goes straight up throught the roof for about 20 - 25', and about 8 -10' of that is inside. Will I get enough natural draft from this to clear away any smoke during a power outage? Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. abrucerd

abrucerd Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    I've lost power 2 or three times with my Harman Advance, both times at night while I was sleeping. The stove quietly burned out, and that was it. No smoke alarms... and no smoke for that matter (my exhaust goes through my ceiling if that makes a difference... not sure?). But I didn't notice the power was out until I went downstairs and it was cold.

If it flickers, I believe the stove will just keep on running. If the flame hasn't extinguished, it will just resume burning. I'm basing this on a loose electrical wire I had 2 years ago that was causing my stove to power out for 2 or 3 minutes every so often. Once I bumped the controls a bit, it would kick back on.
  3. Fsappo

Fsappo New Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    In my showroom, the battery backup just kicks in!
  4. hoverfly

hoverfly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NH
    A good quality surge suppressor would be a good idea, like from Monster and such.