When are cheap pellets worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The label is over the translucent part of the bag and without ink. It's just tiny dot impressions forming two rows of four numbers. I can't see them without standing the bag upright and shaking pellets out of view -- nearly impossible to discern the label with the texture of pellets behind it. Lowes in Worcester had NY pellets.

I've burned just about every "discount" brand of pellets that I could get my hands on here in eastern Pa over the years. But when it comes down to it, if I don't keep my stove happy, it makes for a long winter.

I've burned just about every "discount" brand of pellets that I could get my hands on here in eastern Pa over the years. But when it comes down to it, if I don't keep my stove happy, it makes for a long winter.
So, what you are saying is it all comes down to the stove. One reason why I chose my stove wisely. Having the stove I do, now I can burn a wider variety of pellets than some others can.

You can use any wood pellet with any wood pellet stove. The cheap stuff will make you warm if you are willing to put up with more frequent stove cleaning and running your stove higher to compensate for lower BTU's. If you are ok with that, buy them. They won't hurt your stove if you are diligent about keeping it clean,

The label is over the translucent part of the bag and without ink. It's just tiny dot impressions forming two rows of four numbers. I can't see them without standing the bag upright and shaking pellets out of view -- nearly impossible to discern the label with the texture of pellets behind it. Lowes in Worcester had NY pellets.
Cant believe NH NEWP wont even ship there GS to worcester, instead ship the NY crap 2-300 miles more

Status
Not open for further replies.