1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

When are you no longer under mantel?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ledge, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ledge

ledge New Member

If I put my stove 1-2" in front of the mantel (so the back of the stove is 1-2" in front of a vertical line dropped from the front edge of the mantel), do I still need mantel clearances?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    put a laser themometer on it, if its over 140 your to close. Otherwise, i think your fine. mantle clearances are usually spelled out in the manual, if its behind, i would go by stove rear clearaces and pipe clearances.
  3. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

can you post a picture is the mantel made of wood or bluestone If wood I think your stove setup needs further discussion
  4. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    In my opinion, that is close enough to warrant the mantle clearances. In fact, you definitely need the REGULAR clearances at that point, which are usually more than the mantel clearances. In other words, if the stove specifies 36" above it, you would need 36" to that wood.

This, in my opinion, would hold true until you got to a point behind the stove which was the normal clearance (for instance, if the stove was listed for 12" clearance, and the mantel was 12" behind the stove on vertical line as mentioned).
  5. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Thats the way i read the situation, if any of the mantle protrued over the back of the stove, then stove top clearances needs to be maintained... etc.
  6. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    MSG, my opinion is that even if the mantel does not protrude - as the post says - it is still subject to the regular top clearances. In other words, the top clearance of a stove DOES NOT JUST PERTAIN TO THE EXACT SHADOW ABOVE IT, but (like wall and floor protection) to an area around that. The exact area around that would differ, but I would start with at least 12"-18" or more depending on stove top (radiant? convection?) and other stove side and rear clearances.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.