1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

When does it start to get too warm while burning?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by wahoowad, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    I can usually get my cold natured living room to 73 degrees in about 1.5 hours no matter what the outside temp, 75 after a little while longer. I'm finding 75 is all I can take - I'm already down to shorts and t-shirt. I keep a window cracked, and have a floor fan blowing cold air into the room, and the room will sit at 75. Sometimes it will climb to 78 and I have to go open the window and blow the fan even more. Whew! Not complaining - just curious. It does almost feel too warm at times - light sweat starts popping out.

Better than cold thats for darn sure.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tutu_sue

tutu_sue New Member

Loc:
    Northern NJ
    I worked for a utility company for 15 years. We were to tell our customers recommended room temps in consideration of conservation of economic and environmental resources - 68F in the winter, 78F in the summer. They asked me this question when I took the state DOE exam and wouldn't you know it. I got it right.
  3. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    Wahoo, are you a "Big Boy"?
  4. wahoowad

Loc:
    Virginia
    not yet, Sandor, but getting there.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It sounds like you are going for the gold :) One can burn smaller fires for shorter lengths of time....
  6. HarryBack

HarryBack New Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    lol-
    Yeah, certain stoves and fuels are hard to burn when its "warmish" out....they need a certain rate just to stay burning, and the amount of heat they give off might be more than ya need. Can you say sweater?
  7. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    I dont burn much if its out of the teen's. Which it usually isnt. This dry cold seems alot warmer then it is. You can ALMOST where short sleavs in the 20's.
  8. the_guad

the_guad New Member

Loc:
    No Va
    I've been using my stove every day for the last few weeks. Even if it's just to take the chill off of the room. With as much as we've all paid for these stoves recently, I would say light it up and throw on some shorts.
  9. wahoowad

Loc:
    Virginia
    I agree, the_guad. If it gets too hot I can change into my male thong and a tank top :)
  10. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    I will usually light up the stove as needed to take the chill off the room. But the fire does loose much of it's ambiance when the sun is shining and the trees have plenty 'o green leaves...but it just so happens the temp is 30F!

Corey
  11. MuckSavage

MuckSavage Member

Loc:
    South Jersey

Uhm, what???? :roll:
  12. the_guad

the_guad New Member

Loc:
    No Va
    When I get it nice and toasty it feels like an accomplishment.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.