when & how to clean mt vernon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

serveprotect

Sep 26, 2012
This is my first stove and i am wondering when to clean. The manual says every 3 bags i think but have read of others cleaning every week. I am getting a lot more ash in the firebox ( about to the top of burn pot now). Than ash pan. In my area there is mostly n. American hardwood softwood blend. Which fuel type should i burn these on since there is no option for blend. Thanks.

I'd go with softwood, since it gives the longest cycle times.

I only clean mine weekly, no matter how many bags. I do burn a high quailty softwood.

I usually clean mine when it gets to the top of the burn pot, burn softwood if you can get them.

Thanks. I also have a ton of green teams im holding onto until the cold gets here. Got them before the price jump. Do you find the stove burns softwood better?

Thanks. I also have a ton of green teams im holding onto until the cold gets here. Got them before the price jump. Do you find the stove burns softwood better?

I get less slide plate jams with softwood from carbon buildup.

Status
Not open for further replies.