When is net metering not net metering?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

georgepds

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2012
When an electric company does the math

In my state we have a high and low period of electric charges. Over the last year low prices have run about 0.16/kwh (May-Oct) and 0.21/kwh ( Nov- Apr)

I've got solar panels on my roof, and , until now, always produced more than I used. Last November I bought an electric car. Since I’ve added the electric car, I buy electricity from the electric company in November, and start selling back (on a net monthly basis) in March. This usage rate lets me compare the buy and sell rate form the electric company (which should be the same). I buy in February and sell in March, both in the high price period

Here is the rate I paid for February (~0.21/kwh)

Here is the rate I received for March (~0.20/kwh)

I guess the electric company ( National Grid) figures none of us can add

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Gory details:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jan 29, 2016 to Feb 29, 2016 (Month I bought from the National Grid)

Dist Chg First xxxKWH 0.03977

Transition Charge -0.00164

Transmission Charge 0.02614

Energy Efficiency Chg 0.01624

Renewable Energy Chg 0.0005

Basic Service Fixed 0.13038

Total per kWh 0.21139 buy

Feb 29, 2016 to Mar 31, 2016 (month I sold to National Grid)

Net Met Cr Other 0.15832

Net Met Cr First xx 0.04128

Total per kWh 0.1996 sell

Last edited:
Look more closely at the law, regulations, or other method used to calculate the net meter rate. In Minnesota the law for net meter is that the utility pays the average net retail rate for the class of service. Different PV owners get different net meter rates based on their service class: residential, commercial and other rate classes. Right now our monthly residential rate has been $0.108/kWh, but the net meter rate the utility pays right now is $0.109.

Status
Not open for further replies.