When it become too cold to keep up...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no doubts that relatively poor insulation (especially in our attic) is the culprit for us. I set our heat pump to come on at 65 downstairs and 69 upstairs, and usually around 2am they'll start cycling. The other issue is simply the layout of our home: it's not the most conducive to wood heating by any means...smaller, cut up rooms with lots of doors and bends to navigate, etc. If we ever buy/build again, we'll keep a much more open layout in mind along with better insulation. Also, if I ever have the CTCs, I am trying me one of those NC30s!

wkpoor said:
I had no problems keeping the house warm with the old smoke dragon down to -5 last year.
I really like the reduced wood consumption (even though I have unlimited supply) and the long burn times. But I'm no way convinced about the warmer thing.
Interesting, I thought your new stove (elm-right) worked really well, I dont know what to think any more but I like you enjoy the burn times, glass door and the less room the summit takes up but----------------you know the rest. I wished I would have bought the Buck 94, not sure how well it would have worked in the shoulder season. I think I need a 4 cubic ft fire box.

Status
Not open for further replies.