When it rains it pours

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I went all summer with one small pile to split so I put it off. OOOPPPS! Since September I've had three ash taken down, finally got my saw to work on a large pile of silver maple a friend needs moved, and now my FIL had a medium sized hard maple taken down. I do however, wish tree guys knew how long 16" or at least cut them CLOSE to the same length. I know I need to say no thanks, but I'm an addict and I just can't do it.

fv

Reactions: Woody Stover
I do however, wish tree guys knew how long 16" or at least cut them CLOSE to the same length.
fv

If it's an aerial top down removal the last thing a climber or bucket operator is concerned with is cutting to length.

But I hear you. I'm guessing you ended up with a lot of small odd pieces. Or logs cut at 22 inches or something crazy like that making it impossible to get 2 regular length rounds from it. They burn just fine but mess up the wood pile when stacking. But still better than buying firewood :)

Reactions: fireview2788
I went all summer with one small pile to split so I put it off. OOOPPPS! Since September I've had three ash taken down, finally got my saw to work on a large pile of silver maple a friend needs moved, and now my FIL had a medium sized hard maple taken down. I do however, wish tree guys knew how long 16" or at least cut them CLOSE to the same length. I know I need to say no thanks, but I'm an addict and I just can't do it.

fv
I'm with you. One guy I work with doesn't bother thinking about how long he cuts stuff. When I'm cutting I try to cut for 3 or 4 pieces of firewood when taking any good sized material down. I hate wasting good wood by making chunks or shorts. Makes it easier to deal with on the ground too.

wish tree guys knew how long 16" or at least cut them CLOSE to the same length. I know I need to say no thanks, but I'm an addict and I just can't do it.
You and me both, brother. ==c I look at it this way; I won't have to re-cut all of them, and I can usually get the chunks to stack by mixing them in with regular-length splits. I'm pickier now that I'm ahead on wood, but still find it hard to pass up good wood...especially hard Maple! () Once a hoarder, always a hoarder I guess. You can come on here to vent, but we all know damn well you are gonna grab that wood....you can't help yourself! ;lol
One guy I work with doesn't bother thinking about how long he cuts stuff.
Or how square he cuts the ends, probably. Then you have to fight them when splitting. ;hm

bring them to my house.....i'll help.....lol

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Be careful what you "complain" about on here! I came home to find a large dead hickory limb fell and took a small dead ash ash (pulled the trunk up too). I just had to use my new saw and cut it all up too. It was a horrible, horrible punishment. ==c

fv

fv

That honey locust score I've been working is the same way. No rhyme or reason that I can see. I did work an ash score done by arborists who absolutely NAILED 8' sections. That was fun.

A couple years ago a buddy turned me on to an oak score. We worked it together for fun. He took all the crotches and sections I knew I couldn't split. He's a little nuts, but he told me he ran his firepit 24x7 for a week before he put a big dent in his pile.

My FIL in specifically told them, and they agreed to, 16" but it's crazy the differences. The three ash trees I had taken down was the same thing only I was there to tell them to stop and I would cut it smaller. I had another group come in and take 4 ash trees down with two getting exactly 16" (he used his bar to measure) and the other was all over the place but mostly 12-14". While wood is wood it's a pain to stack plus the stove works much better with 16".

I think I need to be specific and tell them to use a real 16" and not a man's 16". (Sorry but you all were thinking it too)

fv

Reactions: Woody Stover
I understand when I tell a tree company 16" or whatever that they aren't going to get out a tape measure for every cut, but more than once I've had a crew cut up an entire tree about two inches too long. I really don't mind resizing the smaller stuff, but it does chap my ass to re-cut a huge 2-3 foot diameter log and have a bunch of cookies to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.