When should you clean your ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

md2002

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2011
United States
I've only had my stove for a year, this being my second year. It's an insert (Enviro Milan) so the ash pan is fairly small and I clean it out every night. Usually when I clean it out the ash is just beginning to touch the bottom of the burn pot and starting to creep up the sides.

When does ash become hazardous? Can you let the ash build up until it's high enough to fall into the burn pot? If I let the ash build up more I could probably make it 2 nights.

I'm not sure anything could be hazardous, but if the ash starts to prevent air to the burnpot you'll know when it's too much. Maybe push it and see how long you can go when you're able to be home to monitor things.

I've got an insert with a tiny ash pan (M55). If the ash builds up too much it chokes out the fire and puts the stove out...found out my first year. Generally if it doesn't snuff the fire I don't see a huge issue. It's not going to catch on fire again or anything. If the entire stove is full up to the exhaust...that's a problem. I usually go 3-4 days without emptying and when I remove it you can see where it was hitting the bottom of the burnpot. Someone will excoriate me for that I'm sure but I travel out of town 4-5 nights/wk so I just tell the wife to let it run and I'll take care of it when I get home. However, some guys clean the window every day too so different strokes for different folks I guess. Hope that's somewhat helpful.

I'm over 30 bags and still haven't cleaned the glass or cleaned any ash.

Christmas this weekend. So Family is coming out. The stove must look good, says the Wife :)

Cleaning ash is fun.. I do it every day.. I empty the ash pan onto a sheet in the middle of the livingroom and roll around in it.....

once a week, shutdown and vac ash from inside, once a year major clean

I've got an insert with a tiny ash pan (M55). If the ash builds up too much it chokes out the fire and puts the stove out...found out my first year. Generally if it doesn't snuff the fire I don't see a huge issue. It's not going to catch on fire again or anything. If the entire stove is full up to the exhaust...that's a problem. I usually go 3-4 days without emptying and when I remove it you can see where it was hitting the bottom of the burnpot. Someone will excoriate me for that I'm sure but I travel out of town 4-5 nights/wk so I just tell the wife to let it run and I'll take care of it when I get home. However, some guys clean the window every day too so different strokes for different folks I guess. Hope that's somewhat helpful.

Cool, I didn't think it would catch on fire but this is why I was asking. I wasn't sure if too much ash would become a fire hazard. I was cleaning it as soon as it reached the burn pot thinking that if I didn't it may be a fire hazard.

Clean mine before every flush...oh wait...ash..sorry;em ...where are my glasses?

Reactions: Eatonpcat
I've been doing it about once a week. Its not 100% full, but it probably wouldn't make it 2 weeks. That's burning 2-3 bags/day depending on temperatures.

I do my ash weekly...Last time went two weeks with no issues! Now the last time I played with my pellet, that's a secret!...;)

Last time I played with my pellet ?? what time is ;lol

Gives a new meaning to pellet pig..... LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.