When the flue gets a scrub

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Oslo heats my home

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2010
South Shore, MA
I know some sweeps now do the bottom up cleanings, but are they as effective as top down when it comes to the buildup that may be near the cap and screen? Bottom up the sweep doesn't even have to touch the cap, not sure I like that idea. I think I'd rather pay a few dollars extra for him to climb and take the cap off like normal

The sweep I use does top down, I too would not feel like I'm getting my moneys worth if he did bottom up. I could do that, it's the getting on top of this steeper then I'm comfortable with roof that I don't want to do.

There maybe a way, but I don't know how a bottom up cleaning can clean the cap screen. Other than that, bottom up cleaning works. I think a lot of sweeps will do bottom up before setting up equipment to get on a steep roof.

Whenever I've cleaned a flue on one of my stoves that had a cap on it the cap was always the worst part of the system for creosote build up. I concur with the notion that if you clean from the bottom up you aren't likely to get this critical part of your chimney as clean as if you go up on the roof and remove it and thoroughly clean it. Also, if you have a masonry chimney with a liner you won't get a good inspection done of your masonry work to see if it needs any maintenance.

A qualified sweep will often clean from the bottom up. But, will always go up top to clean the cap and verify that the cap and other components are in good shape as part of the inspection.
Cleaning from below is not only safer, but the sweep can make monitor how things are going. He can be sure that no soot is entering the home, there's more control. And the price should never change if the sweep doesn't get on the roof, that's ridiculous, it's part of the job.

Reactions: ScotO
A qualified sweep will often clean from the bottom up. But, will always go up top to clean the cap and verify that the cap and other components are in good shape as part of the inspection.
Cleaning from below is not only safer, but the sweep can make monitor how things are going. He can be sure that no soot is entering the home, there's more control. And the price should never change if the sweep doesn't get on the roof, that's ridiculous, it's part of the job.

Easier said than done in my opinion. I understand safety but safety is twofold, mine and theirs. The last visit from my sweep got me a bottom up cleaning and no cap and upper flue check. This is what makes me think top down would be what will get me a full inspection and cleaning. Just a note from my latest experience

Easier said than done in my opinion. I understand safety but safety is twofold, mine and theirs. The last visit from my sweep got me a bottom up cleaning and no cap and upper flue check. This is what makes me think top down would be what will get me a full inspection and cleaning. Just a note from my latest experience
Unfortunately, this means your sweep isn't a professional. Unless your flue cap is in excessible from the roof, the sweep should check it after the sweep.

I clean my flue myself, bottom-up, two to three times a season. to clean the cap, once the brush is "bottomed-out" on the cap, I pull it back and forth several times, spinning it as I do this, to clean out the inside of the cap.....

I visually inspect my cap from the ground, and if it appears to be getting funky (which is rare, if ever anymore, thanks to seasoning my firewood three years), I'll go up on the roof, remove the cap and clean it.

Reactions: webby3650
I clean my flue myself, bottom-up, two to three times a season. to clean the cap, once the brush is "bottomed-out" on the cap, I pull it back and forth several times, spinning it as I do this, to clean out the inside of the cap.....

I visually inspect my cap from the ground, and if it appears to be getting funky (which is rare, if ever anymore, thanks to seasoning my firewood three years), I'll go up on the roof, remove the cap and clean it.

I got a nasty12 pitch roof. I've been up there several times for other reasons but I'd rather pay someone to sweep the flue than put myself in harms way at my age.

Reactions: ScotO
I got a nasty12 pitch roof. I've been up there several times for other reasons but I'd rather pay someone to sweep the flue than put myself in harms way at my age.
understood....
heck, I'm only 40 years old, and I'm not real keen on getting on my roof anymore (its only a 6/12 pitch)! I used to do quite a bit of roofing on the side, including my own home, but I don't care if I ever have to do a roofing job ever again!

understood....
heck, I'm only 40 years old, and I'm not real keen on getting on my roof anymore (its only a 6/12 pitch)! I used to do quite a bit of roofing on the side, including my own home, but I don't care if I ever have to do a roofing job ever again!

I'm 47, and have been in construction my entire adult life. My roofing days are definitely over, I hire it out when my jobs need it. Enjoy your 6 pitch, that's a dream roof pitch to work on, just short of needing a rubber roof and halfway to a hellish uphill nightmare.

I hired out to have our chimney cleaned twice, and both times the guy did bottom up.....took all of 10 minutes, including clean up.....a quick up scrub on the way up, and again on the way down......I said to myself "screw this.....I can do this myself", a split level ranch, not a big pitch, and I take more than 10 minutes 'cause I care.

Not so bad getting up onto your roof to clean flues. With secure safety lines all you'll get is some fright--not bad for anyone.
It's the upper part of any flue that cools and can accumulate creosote: whether metal, brick, masonry.

With our two Metalbestos flues on a 10 pitch roof I installed a permanent 9mm line onto the ridge hanging down to the gutter. I can either use the line to tie into, or for a fast
run to check the caps during shoulder season burns ( cooler fires ) just use the line for a handhold. Norway, for example, mandates permanent roof ladders for chimneys.

In the annual Spring brushing and cap cleaning from the top, it's rare that there is more than a cup of fine ash in the flues. If you need to brush more than once a year, your burning
needs some change. Do it. The caps are more likely to need some hard wire brushing. Yes, seasoned wood is important, butt more vital is your burning method to have hot startup fires,
and not damp primary air ( cat or non ) until the splits are cooking red. Never ASSume you know all there is about how to burn. All stand-alone stoves have temp recommendations.
We have temp O.C.D. for both stoves.;em

I pay my sweep $89 to clean mine every Spring. He cleans from the bottom, and his helper on the roof cleans the cap and brushes down. I like the peace of mind of a professional job, and it's good to have a record for insurance purposes too.

Norway, for example, mandates permanent roof ladders for chimneys.
That makes me feel a little better -- I've had an aluminum stepladder tied to the side of mine for about a year now.

I pay my sweep $89 to clean mine every Spring. He cleans from the bottom, and his helper on the roof cleans the cap and brushes down. I like the peace of mind of a professional job, and it's good to have a record for insurance purposes too.

Wait one second here .....a leatherneck NOT wanting to do the deed himself ? ;ex We don need no stinkin' 'record'. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, I am astounded ( ex Army ).

Reactions: blujacket
I remember when we had a cap with the mesh (hardware cloth) screen and we cleaned from the bottom up. Then to clean the screen we would just reach up with the brush and lightly brush on the outside of the screen and it got most of the stuff. We never had it plug so it was not a worry. Sometimes we'd just tap the screen and the stuff would fall. WEAR GOGGLES!

Ive been doing bottom up because I have an external chimney that is 22' up from the ground and I don't have a ladder tall enough to get to the top unless I go on the roof pull the ladder up and lean it from the roof to the top of the chimney. I don't think that's a good idea but if its ok Ill do it again but for now Ill just keep going from the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.