Where can I find Okanagans near me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So true LW. I dont fall into a driving large distances for lowest price category as my time is money, not to mention fuel to get there, so I stay somewhat local. But the economy and fact of no pay raise in 5-6 years means that tougher decisions and compromises need to be made. These decisions need to be made with education, experience and balance. Best bang for buck has to win for my budget now while taking into consideration that I am heating my home in the dead of winter.

I dont envy your position in stocking pellets.

makes sense, gb....the economy affects us all, one way or another, and we have to make adjustments. Well, as for stocking pellets, there's a couple schools of thought. You either buy a bunch ahead of time, hopefully allowing your customers the opportunity to buy early at a reduced price and ensure they have pellets to burn for the winter, also to cover your deliveries, or, alternatively, you buy as you need them, which carries less risk, cashwise, but carries alot more risk from the supply side. Selling pellets you dont have carries the inherent risk of relying on a supplier to send to you on time, and trucking to be available for a resonable rate, in the dead of winter. We have all seen instances in the past where this system has broken down with disastrous reults....I think the folks in CT STILL havent gotten their money from the last fiasco down there.....

I am guilty of spending money to save some. Takin a ride in the gas hog to chase down pellets is usually a money loss. But I'm frugal and its hard to over come once I see a so called value. ;em

Luckily the Mrs. is a sort of a bean counter! Keeps an eye on me. I can only fetch some if I'm in the area. So I just tuck some in the trunk on the gas misser here and there! I only do it for shoulder stuff anyway. I just don't want to be cold and never pinch on the cold season pellets. To old for that chit!

I am guilty of spending money to save some. Takin a ride in the gas hog to chase down pellets is usually a money loss. But I'm frugal and its hard to over come once I see a so called value. ;em

Luckily the Mrs. is a sort of a bean counter! Keeps an eye on me. I can only fetch some if I'm in the area. So I just tuck some in the trunk on the gas miser here and there! I only do it for shoulder stuff anyway. I just don't want to be cold and never pinch on the cold season pellets. To old for that chit!

HMM, maybe my problem is that I am a bean counter too. That and the amount of time spent here creates a conflict in my noggin that wants to chase pellets. DOH ! ! !

We all have our guilty pleasures, mine is live loud music. I travel alot for that and will probably be deaf by 60.

I will say that I cant pass a hardware store, box store, supply yard or whatever and take a good look at those wrapped pallets to see if they are pellets, what kind and how much $. Always on the prowl and can get at least 20 bags under the soft cover of my Ridgeline. More like 40-50 if I am heading right home and dont need to hide em from the other pellet piggies that are lurking in the shadows.

As someone who sells pellets, I find this to be an interesting thread. Its a conundrum that we deal with day in and day out. What makes it difficult is in how different customers prioritize the qualities in a pellet, and frankly, how much MORE they will pay for a "better" pellet. To some folks, especially given this economy, the price is the number one concern, whereas supply, service, and quality fall behind, and in different orders. When we take a position in the market, and a position is hundreds of thousands of dollars (literally), we have to basically guess (not fun). Sometimes it works out, sometimes it does not. The difference in the per ton price that a customer will pay varies for every single customer. Makes it interesting for us retailers.......although I have to say, it often amazes me what folks will do to get the "lowest price"......even driving miles and miles to get it, etc........

Yes and it's interesting to me too. I understand clearly that because I'm in the one thousand dollar range customer I'm playing a small hand every year and that I have very limited choices. Worse, I'm not sure that I'm making the "right" choice or am just influenced by good marketing. (There was an Okie rep here a couple of years ago who got bounced probably for not paying the Webmaster who owns the site. I have no position on that move and it's long moot now. But my good experience with Okanagans was solidified by good representation - - answered posts in a forthright manner, commented on the industry, etc. I suspect he's working for another company now but he was an outstanding representative.)

The other aspect of my situation is that I a very seasonal customer. Until next season, I'll probably check in here sometimes, will have to make sure my stove is properly serviced and so forth. But I won't have to think of pellets for a while.

A larger question well beyond my pay grade is how this industry (end user wood power) is likely to shift over the next few years. For example, will the projected supply of natural gas influence pellet users? Is this a business with a core of pellet users and a smaller groups of transients who come and go when fuel peaks and drops.

So it comes down to the classic questions:

1. Will I still be able to haul 40 pound bags?
2. Will scaping fireboxes and hauling ash be a problem?
3. Will Marcia marry John?

Reactions: gbreda
Stay tuned up next Dr Phil How to marry your daughter and eliminate having to clean your stove ever again! We'll be right back

LOL

Reactions: gbreda
Yes and it's interesting to me too. I understand clearly that because I'm in the one thousand dollar range customer I'm playing a small hand every year and that I have very limited choices. Worse, I'm not sure that I'm making the "right" choice or am just influenced by good marketing. (There was an Okie rep here a couple of years ago who got bounced probably for not paying the Webmaster who owns the site. I have no position on that move and it's long moot now. But my good experience with Okanagans was solidified by good representation - - answered posts in a forthright manner, commented on the industry, etc. I suspect he's working for another company now but he was an outstanding representative.)

The other aspect of my situation is that I a very seasonal customer. Until next season, I'll probably check in here sometimes, will have to make sure my stove is properly serviced and so forth. But I won't have to think of pellets for a while.

A larger question well beyond my pay grade is how this industry (end user wood power) is likely to shift over the next few years. For example, will the projected supply of natural gas influence pellet users? Is this a business with a core of pellet users and a smaller groups of transients who come and go when fuel peaks and drops.

Doug M. still sells Okanagan domestically. yea, I dont get involved in the semantics of the issues as to why he doesnt post here either. Something between Craig and Doug, and its better left between them, frankly.

Stentor, I too liked the Okies for the year I used them in, but the change to Spruce Pointe happened the following year after finding that they burned very similar and were a bit less expensive.

For me, the transient factor were the Okies and by the title of this thread, still are. The local dealer (who became my primary dealer) that I was pointed to by the Okie rep dropped them due to price increases and (I think) availability for the following June. Those who had them one year did not have them the next, or the price was excessive for me. I needed to get on board with a solid and reliable cold weather supply that I was able to afford. I am willing to spend more for a solid product (thus the Harman stove), but I dont spend a higher premium for similar product that I also need to hunt down.

Bottom line was that after 1 year burning, I had a bit of experience under my belt because I tried so many different products in the 1st year, I had learned so much here and I successfully heated my home without oil. When June came along, I could not find Okies, my now primary pellet dealer had dropped them and he had plenty of Spruce at a very reasonable price. Prior, he carried both.

I tend to buy enough for a full season in June and then if I find good pricing on decent fuel for the shoulders then I will add as I hunt, knowing that I will then save some of the good stuff for next year.

This years change to MWP soft is twofold. One is that Spruce has now gone up due to transportation charges, although its not at the "I cant touch those" price yet. Second is that I really would like to keep my money local and if MWP can provide me the a comparable fuel at a cost savings while keeping the money in New England, then its time to give them a chance. And yes, my pellet house carries both, so my patronage stayed local as well.

Everything evolves and for me, loyalty to a proven brand of any kind has to be examined and balanced from time to time.

$300 a ton is too much for any pellet right now. Period
Now $300 for the 1.3 ton pallets of Okies would be ok, but not just a ton. Especially this early in the season. Grab some cheapies that'll keep you warm enough thru Oct and Nov, then put some money into more 'premium' brands. But $300...hell no.

$300 a ton is too much for any pellet right now. Period
Now $300 for the 1.3 ton pallets of Okies would be ok, but not just a ton. Especially this early in the season. Grab some cheapies that'll keep you warm enough thru Oct and Nov, then put some money into more 'premium' brands. But $300...hell no.

perfect example.......the consumer is theonly one who can determine "value" as a value for me might not be one for you. We sell Okies for $289/ton all day long (when we can get em), but that IS too much for some folks! And Okies now only come in 1 ton skids.

There is actual value and there is perceived value. My point is that if you are buying for the shoulder season, there is no reason at all to be paying $100 a ton more for a certain brand of pellet. There are plenty of $180 to $200 per ton brands out there that will be absolutely fine for this time of year. Maybe you'll get a bit more ash so maybe you have to empty the ash pan two or three extra times a month. For a hundred dollar savings per ton, that is a no brainer. 25-30 dollar difference, I'd probably get the better pellet, but not for an extra Benjamin.

If we are talking the dead of winter and the Okies provided substantially more heat and substantially less maintenance, than maybe the $100 difference is justifiable. Still a tough nut to crack, because that is a huge difference pricewise.

And, yes, I have run Okies before.

There is actual value and there is perceived value. My point is that if you are buying for the shoulder season, there is no reason at all to be paying $100 a ton more for a certain brand of pellet. There are plenty of $180 to $200 per ton brands out there that will be absolutely fine for this time of year. Maybe you'll get a bit more ash so maybe you have to empty the ash pan two or three extra times a month. For a hundred dollar savings per ton, that is a no brainer. 25-30 dollar difference, I'd probably get the better pellet, but not for an extra Benjamin.

If we are talking the dead of winter and the Okies provided substantially more heat and substantially less maintenance, than maybe the $100 difference is justifiable. Still a tough nut to crack, because that is a huge difference pricewise.

And, yes, I have run Okies before.

oh, Im not judging a value or not here........actual value and perceived value? Isnt perception reality? How do you prove ACTUAL value? Our most inexpensive pellet is $219 a ton. Our most expensive, Okies, are $289/ton. A pretty big difference, if you ask me. $70 is alot. Would you believe we sell more of the $289/ton pellet than the $219/ton pellet?! Given that, and figuring that our customers actually are the ones who determine VALUE, I'd have to say they value the more expensive one over the cheaper one.....but, as the economists say, we have to assume the public acts rationally......

oh, Im not judging a value or not here........actual value and perceived value? Isnt perception reality? How do you prove ACTUAL value? Our most inexpensive pellet is $219 a ton. Our most expensive, Okies, are $289/ton. A pretty big difference, if you ask me. $70 is alot. Would you believe we sell more of the $289/ton pellet than the $219/ton pellet?! Given that, and figuring that our customers actually are the ones who determine VALUE, I'd have to say they value the more expensive one over the cheaper one.....but, as the economists say, we have to assume the public acts rationally......

Well put. People still lease cars, buy whole life insurance, and think that retail or list price is the price they 'have' to pay on things like electronics, furniture and appliances, and they run premium gas on vehicles that don't require it. It kills me. Talk about acting irrationally! If you are going to throw money down the toilet, why not paypal it to me and I'll put it to good use. (the money down the toliet has nothing to do with the Okie scenario, only the other bad buying decisions I mentioned)

Well put. People still lease cars, buy whole life insurance, and think that retail or list price is the price they 'have' to pay on things like electronics, furniture and appliances, and they run premium gas on vehicles that don't require it. It kills me. Talk about acting irrationally! If you are going to throw money down the toilet, why not paypal it to me and I'll put it to good use. (the money down the toliet has nothing to do with the Okie scenario, only the other bad buying decisions I mentioned)

truth is, it amazes me that folks obsess over the littlest things (where pellets are concerned).......they buy one pellet because it has 23 BTU/s / lb more, or the ash content is .005% less than the next, like those are night/day differences. Some folks are convinced those differences matter, wherein as far as reality goes, those differences can easily vary by batch! heck, they cant make up their minds with the data, I dont want to even MENTION variance and margins of error to them! What did you use last year? Did it work for you? Why fix what aint broke?

Status
Not open for further replies.