Where Do You Get The Stone For Your Hearth Pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I was out at Lowes the other day having a look-see at some of their 12" x 12" X 1/4"-ish stone/masonary slabs for my hearth pad. Didn't really see a color I liked as I want something blue/gray to match the stove.

Where are you folks getting the stone for your hearth pad?

Thanks!
Bill

A good tile supplier will often have nice stone tiles too. If not, go to a stone and paver supplier.

Let your fingers do the walking. :cheese: Rick

If you want blue/gray, skip the tile and go for bluestone. You can get it in almost any size and thickness you want. Around here you can get it at any masonry supply store.

When I extended my hearth for the Fireview I used rocks from the shores of Gitche Gumee. Sandstone and basalt mainly. Not so flat, but the stove itself sits on concrete.

For the Ultima hearth I used 16" square slate from the garden dept. at home depot. Pretty uneven but they're inset in the floor so a lot of mortar did the trick. For the surround I got 2" slate squares, also at HD. Assorted colors attached to a mesh backing in a 6x6 grid.

I ordered slate from a quarry in Vermont last fall on the internet. Local box stores have the imported slate that pieces flake off. The batch that I ordered was amazingly smooth, cleaved beautifully and all colors in the box matched. They have limited colors but I feel the quality is excellent. Some people don't like slate because it will scratch easier than some other stones. If I need to move my stove, I slip a piece of 1/4" plywood under the legs and it is fine.

Forget Lowes and Home Depot. Go to a real tile store where tile pros shop. They'll have good sample stock of ceramic tiles, porcelein tiles, and natural stone. They won't stock it all in quantity but can order you what you want from the sample.

You can get 3m faux creekstone in a whole host of colors. It's cast concrete, but looks enough like the real thing it's hard to tell it's not. It's a bit lighter as well.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.