where do you get your wood ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buddylee

Feb 16, 2011
middle georgia
See alot of posts of people struggling to find wood. I live in the country and usually ride around looking for a logging operations or find storm damage. Maybe I'm lucky. Where do you city folks get your wood?

From country folk that drive around looking for storm damage.

All my wood is scrounged within 10 miles, and is storm damage, or standing dead. Processed around 40 cords over the last 3 years.

Land clearing for building houses, Nat forest cutting permits, local storm damage, but I live in the country too.

Here in the burbs there's usually some home-owner hiring a tree service to take down a few trees. Usually it's a swamp maple (hey, free BTUs) but sometimes its oak or locust.

I live in the country, & scrounge a lot of storm damage too, but have gotten several nice scores from the burbs in the city so folks didn't have to pay the tree svc for removal. Just gotta be quick & work clean. A C

I scrounge using craig's list. Usually it's people who have just had trees cut down and are hoping to get rid of the bucked rounds. Sometimes people will be getting rid of older stuff that they ended up not burning. I usually only stay real local. Within 5 miles. I get wood from friends and family who have cut trees down. I grab whatever I see while I'm out and about. I've also bought a couple of cords at a very reasonable price. I haven't had any problems getting wood, I have a hard time storing it.

I thank my lucky stars I have a golf course suppling me with all of their blow-down and removals. Lots of Cherry, Crab-Apple and Ash. Plenty of Pine available but I usually pass on that.

Mine comes from CL. observations of tree crews and asking homeowners, and from Utilities property at times.

Shawn

Well, this is my first year at it. I thought I was going to have a lot of work cut out for me. But Craigslist has provided a abundance of wood and just payiing attention driving around. Then I've got access to a Hedge line removal with my Uncle, that we'll start back in on sometime this late fall till spring.

Ive had good luck with the City's utility crews, friends, and CL.

Every once in a while Ill see something on the curb and sweep it up, my wife loves when I say "hey wanna go grab a milk shake?" and we end up throwing wood in my truck at 10pm.

My local tree guy drops off anytime I give him a call, cheaper then takin it to the landfill. The price is also good,,,,,free.

Joey said:
My local tree guy drops off anytime I give him a call, cheaper then takin it to the landfill. The price is also good,,,,,free.

+1 ... me too. Also scrounge off CL, and anything I see in my travels.

Family land . . . some from dying elms on my own house lot . . . some scrounged from various sources when it is close and/or convenient.

a pill

LOL

I've had extremely good luck finding wood right behind the house.

If I had to scrounge around here it would be no problem nor would I have to go far. It is amazing to see so many dead trees. Besides this, as I go through the country on my bicycle I see lots and lots of trees that could be scrounged. Just this morning I was one tree that was uprooted and the top was almost in the road. About 100 yards further and a big sugar maple was rotting and needs to come down. On this same mile I saw two other trees with rotten limbs. Yes, there is plenty out there.

Outer suburbs here. Most of my wood is roadside storm damage. I have made some CL scores, and have some tree service connections. I recently made a connection at a local summer camp. I am hoping it becomes a long term relationship. They have trees that fall down and little money and I have chainsaws and trucks. I currently have more wood available to me than I have space to store it on my 1/4 acre.

Backwoods Savage said:
Besides this, as I go through the country on my bicycle I see lots and lots of trees that could be scrounged.

A bicycle ride is a brilliant way to look out for easy scrounges.

Much easier to cycle along slowly round a few blocks than drive about in a car looking as if you're kerb crawling..... ;-)

Everything for the last twenty five years has come out of the four acres here that weren't cleared for the house. Some of it sad because they were huge oak blow downs that I would have liked to have stayed standing there forever. And the fact that I am still making mortgage payments on every tree that I have burned.

Well, I did cut up and bring home two big ones three or four years ago that blew down on my neighbor's place. Felt funny to be "scrounging" but he really, really wanted them out of his front yard. The stumps are still laying there.

We refer to firewood as the cash crop on this farm. While my wife was looking at the site where the house would be built I was down in the woods looking at the trees.

smokingout said:
See alot of posts of people struggling to find wood. I live in the country and usually ride around looking for a logging operations or find storm damage. Maybe I'm lucky. Where do you city folks get your wood?

We are lucky enough that we just take a run back in our woods with the truck and grab what I cut.

zap

Mostly friends/family and craigslist to this point. I have standing dead pine here and some dead ash that I'm starting to get into though. I have maybe a couple cords of ash and a more pine than I care to deal with. My neighbor to the south of me has 30 acres and has told me to help myself but I haven't needed to tap that source yet. Maybe I'll get around to that next spring.

I wish I had land like some of our members have access to but that's not in the cards just yet.

I get about 98% of my wood from my wood lot. the other 2% is blown down limbs from of my yard.

I'm fortunate to have family land that is mostly wooded. I'm very selective when cutting live trees mostly taking ones with damage or ones that need to cleared. There's also a lot of standing dead to cut that is usually ready to burn fairly quickly. My main problem is finding the time to get out and cut.

I check craigslist and keep my eyes open when Im out driving, if I have to buy cords its only $160 split for green wood. Im almost 3 years ahead just from scrounging, as I burn this winter Ill try and replace what I burn by spring either by scrounging or Ill buy some c/s/d/. I plan on always being 3 years ahead. Thats about my limit for storage.

I'm lucky enough to have just moved to a mostly wooded 13 acres. About 70% red and white oak, 25% American Beech/black birch/red maple, and the last bit is pine/cedar. Before that I cut from family land and moved it 1/2 mile to my house. Considering we burn 8-10 cord(s?) a year (house is 75-80 in winter), having it come from my back yard is going to be a huge time saver over moving it even that 1/2 mile. But this is a new house, so I'm sure I'll be able to burn a lot less wood for the same results. Fingers crossed that the EconoBurn was a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.