Where to cut hole in concrete behind boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hartkem

Jan 24, 2012
KC
I finally got around to get the eko 40 into position inside my 10x12 garden shed. I followed the minimum clearances, 36" rear and 18" sides. Since this building was existing I need to use a concrete saw to cut the concrete floor to bring two 1 1/4 thermopex lines through and two 2" conduit pipes. Since the boiler is 36" from the back wall where should I cut the floor? Should I cut it closer to the wall or closer to the boiler? I'm guessing 6" from the back wall might be best. Also does anyone know what the outside diameter of 1 1/4 thermopex is?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG00003-20120601-2145.JPG
    IMG00003-20120601-2145.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 141
Did you consider bringing the pipes in through the wall rather than through the floor?

Did you consider bringing the pipes in through the wall rather than through the floor?
Yes I did but I don't want any exposed pipe for aesthetics and the fact it would then be exposed to ambient air temps. This is just a 4" thick pad so going through the floor shouldn't be to hard. I will have a deep trench and can make a slow gradual bend up into the building.

OD should be the same as copper tube 1-3/8" for 1-1/4 pex. Insulate it with at least 1/2" wall or 1" if you can that will be the coldest spot where it comes up thru the concrete slab. Maybe get some 3" or 4" electrical PVC condiut sweeps to push through. Those would be about 3-1/2" OD or a 4" hole so you can caulk around them.

You might warm the pex with a heat gun to allow it to bend easily.

hr

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-06-02 at 9.13.45 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-06-02 at 9.13.45 AM.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 138
I personally would not run the pipes through the floor directly behind your boiler. I think eventually you would regret that decision. I'd do it several feet away from the boiler to give yourself plenty of room on all sides around the boiler for maintenance. You're going to want a clean-out on your smoke pipe directly above that location...at a minimum.

I personally would not run the pipes through the floor directly behind your boiler. I think eventually you would regret that decision. I'd do it several feet away from the boiler to give yourself plenty of room on all sides around the boiler for maintenance. You're going to want a clean-out on your smoke pipe directly above that location...at a minimum.

Ok I am going to take your advice and move the piping over a bit. This should help get things away from the flue as you mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.