Where to stack cut & split dead fallen trees?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwood

Hearth Supporter
Dec 3, 2009
How do others stack their cut and split fallen trees (2-3 years) with some bug holes? Do you stack it with your fresh cut firewood or build a separate stack?

I don't do anything different as opposed to a green tree that I might cut. I stack it all together and let it season for the same number of years. When I'm ready to burn it, it's all equally dry and ready to burn.

wetwood said:
How do others stack their cut and split fallen trees (2-3 years) with some bug holes? Do you stack it with your fresh cut firewood or build a separate stack?

I made the mistake of stacking 2-3 year old dead wood with green wood. When I went to the pile to get wood I had to sort through the less seasoned wood to find the good stuff. That was a pain. Now, I stack like wood together only.

i stack it all together because the wood I am stacking today I don't expect to burn for at least two years. Be it green or already dead, it will still be seasoned when I burn it. I also stack different types of wood together, oak stacked with soft maple, for example. Again, I expect it all to have plenty of seasoning by the time i get to it. I figure a mix of wood in my stacks will allow me to choose one type for daytime burning or quick starts, another for longer nighttime burns. Plus, it is easier to stack it all together.

If I find punky wood that I think is marginal firewood, I stack it separately and cover it. This is the wood we use for outdoor fires, and we burn about as much as I collect, so it may never make it indoors. i wouldn't want to stack rotting wood for two or three years uncovered outdoors with the rest of my firewoood because I think it would keep on rotting. Even under cover I think it keeps rotting, but not as fast. My normal firewood, green or dead but not too punky, seems to last for a long time uncovered outdoors.

It all goes into the same stack here unless we happen to cut some dead elm that had dried and looks as if it might turn a bit punky. Then it goes into the stack that will be burned the following year.

I keep definite piles and stacks. When dead wood comes in this time of year it goes into next years burn pile, except the tops I might burn this year if they are really grey and hard and missing all the bark. Anything green if for two or more years out. Not that hard to keep track of actualy. Right now I have this years stack in the shed, next years stack uncovered and stacked against a fence, three piles of dead or well seasoned waitng to go in the shed, and a big pile of green waiting to be processed. So pretty much three choices, seasoned and dry, in the shed, seasoned and wet in a pile, green, in a different pile.

one stack is willow, boxelder, sycamore, and any other softwood

one stack is mixed stuff

i'll separate out hickory and locust cuz it's good hardwood for cold temps

apple gets it's own stack too

ash gets it's own stack too

i get 5 cord red/white oak annually that i buck and split, i keep that separate from all the other stuff so i know how many years it's seasoned

Depends . . .

If the wood is riddled with ants, crawling all over the place when I split the wood I let it sit for a bit . . . if I'm stacking that day I'll keep this wood separate, but if it's going to be a bit I simply leave the wood there and when I come back several days later the ants usually are gone.

If the wood has some holes from bugs, but isn't punky . . . I'll stack it with no reservations.

If the wood has some holes from bugs, but is punky or very dry . . . I may toss it to the side to burn sooner rather than later.

If the wood has some holes from bugs and is punky to the point of being near useless . . . I'll toss the wood into the woods for "tree food."

Status
Not open for further replies.