1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Where to stack...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Dustin, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dustin

Dustin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Oregon
    I have plenty of wood for this winter..most of it is in the shed, but the remaining two cords are stacked on the side of the house, where the sun hits from about noon until it goes down. We also get a fair ammount of wind on that side of the house. I plan on keeping the two seasoned cords there, just to keep drying until I need them. Can never be too dry!

Anyway, my girlfriends uncle has a bunch of land, and some living, green alder tree's he just fell. He wants me to hack em up, and take them home.

My only problem...

I have a GREAT location to stack them this very, very green almost still alive wood. It's a nice flat area, and out of the way of everything. The problem is it's in the shade. It's directly under a hugle maple tree, and a cedar tree.

This area is in the shade almost all day, except in the earley morning, and it still wont get much sun there.

I don't plan on touching this wood after it's stack until december of 2009.

My question is, will it need constant sun to season? Or will the warm temps during the summer take care of it.

My worry is, it will be cooler in the shade, and the wood won't get the occasional 90 degree days we get in oregon during the summer.

Any thoughts?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Well split wood will season no matter where it's stacked...of course there are better locations but you have to go with what works best for you. Stack it where it's out of the way...if the wood doesn't get sun it now becomes important to cover the tops to prevent rotting/molding. If you process that wood soon it'll be more than ready by next season.
  3. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Alder is one of those aspen like dealios, right? Light wood? It should dry pretty well in a year split and stacked no matter where you put it short of a swamp. I guess that you have lots of rain out there, ya? Might cover the top when you can later summer next year.
  4. bdog

bdog New Member

Loc:
    Western NY
    Alder seasons quick, but if I remember right from when I had some many years ago, it does soak up water pretty easy, so keep it off the ground with a cover on the top. Make sure it does not get buried with leaves from that overhead maple. Once that maple loses its leaves you'll have a little less shade.
  5. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Much of mine is under pine trees.
    It seasons fine.

If you needed it this year, then you'd pick a spot to maximize seasoning advantages.

Just consider that spot a slow roaster.
  6. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    No.

Be sure you keep it dry and off the ground. Alder gets punky very quickly when left out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.