wheres my husky gas tank breather vent at????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodButcher80

Feeling the Heat
hey guys, i cant seem to find my gas tank breather hole on my husqvarna 61 from the early 80s . .i filled the tank up and it would cut for about 2 minutes then would idle high and lean out.

. i took off the top of the saw to separate it from the gas tank below. i cant find it ! did they even have them back then? i hooked an air compressor to the top of the gas line sticking out of the top of the tank, gave it a couple little taps and the only air coming out was seeping out of the gas cap, but barely . if i would have help the compressed air down it would have blown the tank apart!
i think its supposed to be on the right side just behind where the handelbar attaches.
it should be the same on the 266 268 272 61 and 66 models.

heres some pics....

Attachments

• IMG_1262 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1262 (Medium).JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_1336 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1336 (Large).JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_1337 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1337 (Large).JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_1338 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1338 (Large).JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 399
and one more pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1339 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1339 (Large).JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_133dd8 (Large).JPG
    IMG_133dd8 (Large).JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 385
i would say where you have it mark would be right. Man that thing is old!

older the berry , the sweeter the sawdust !!! going bucking right now to see if i just needed to turn my gas cap 1/8 turn past it stopping, which is at about 11 o'clock on the knob. we shall see.

smokinj said:
i would say where you have it mark would be right.
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if there isn't a valve that opens when the throttle shaft moves? Try pulling the shaft and looking where it pivots.

My Husky 55 Rancher does the same thing, does anyone know where the vent is on that beast??? I thought that I had bad gas but with fresh gas it does not stay running either. Not trying to hi-jack post, but I have been using my back up 16" craftsman instead since August.

no valve, oh well . i guess the guy i talked to from sweden wasnt lying when he said this saw was the first 61 batch from sweden, according to his father and the serial # .

WoodButcher80 said:
no valve, oh well . i guess the guy i talked to from sweden wasnt lying when he said this saw was the first 61 batch from sweden, according to his father and the serial # .
between that saw and insert you have, I think you should change your title to "oldschool" That would fit you perfect!

i dont know if your complimenting me or ragging on me.... but thanks, i guess. . .

WoodButcher80 said:
i dont know if your complimenting me or ragging on me.... but thanks, i guess. . .
"complimenting" That Insert looks cool!

got her up and running... apparently my saw only used the gas cap as a one-way air inlet, so i cleaned it up and off to the races..... a face cord of maple like butter!

Attachments

• IMG_1344 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1344 (Large).JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 309
Good to hear you got it sorted. Now be extra careful running her without a chain brake.

WoodButcher80 said:
got her up and running... apparently my saw only used the gas cap as a one-way air inlet, so i cleaned it up and off to the races..... a face cord of maple like butter!
Nice Work!

LLigetfa said:
Good to hear you got it sorted. Now be extra careful running her without a chain brake.

well, you guys scared me so much i got a brand new aftermarket one from an ebay seller for 40$ shipped! fit great and works like a charm (click pic and youll see it) its the new grey style one. 40$ or no arm... lemme think ! :) my lady is an ICU nurse and just had an arborist in the hospital with sawed off thumb from slipping his arm onto the chain. ... when i heard that , well that was it, i got one!

WoodButcher80 said:
(click pic and youll see it) its the new grey style one.
DOH, Right your are, I'm blind. :coolsmirk:

LLigetfa said:
WoodButcher80 said:
(click pic and youll see it) its the new grey style one.
DOH, Right your are, I'm blind. :coolsmirk:
Old school got a new twist!!!!!!!!!!

"Old school got a new twist!!!!!!!!!! "

dang right!

it also came with a clutch cover too! woo hoo . found the orginal stickers for the clutch cover but not the '61' on the starter side. the clutch cover decal was 4$ , with 11$ shipping from partstree... so i decided to pass now since i dont need a breather vent now. . . 11$ flat shipping , yuck

WoodButcher80 said:
it also came with a clutch cover too! woo hoo . found the orginal stickers for the clutch cover but not the '61' on the starter side. the clutch cover decal was 4$ , with 11$ shipping from partstree... so i decided to pass now since i dont need a breather vent now. . . 11$ flat shipping , yuck
yea 4 bucks would be worth it but, anoter 11 to get i would pass as well

I remember buying a retrofit brake for my Partner saw back when it first became a job requirement, not because of any safety awareness. I thought I was invincible until my saw kicked back on me and almost kissed my nose. Only bought safety pants too when they were required by law and was really glad I did cuz I sawed through three layers of kevlar.

Sorry if I come off as a "Born again Christian".

LLigetfa said:
I remember buying a retrofit brake for my Partner saw back when it first became a job requirement, not because of any safety awareness. I thought I was invincible until my saw kicked back on me and almost kissed my nose. Only bought safety pants too when they were required by law and was really glad I did cuz I sawed through three layers of kevlar.

Sorry if I come off as a "Born again Christian".
"I"ve Seen the Light" lol................. good safty is always welcome!

thats one thing i dont have... good pants... was gonna get some orange logger pants, ya never know...

WoodButcher80 said:
thats one thing i dont have... good pants... was gonna get some orange logger pants, ya never know...
60 bucks is not bad if you ever seen someone cut there leg!(i have and drove them to hospital)

ill ask the lady to get me em for xmas! shes already getting me that husky saw case that holds tools too . . .

smokinj said:
(i have and drove them to hospital)
You're more generous than some of my friends were...

A long time ago a bunch of my friends were working piecework pipeline slash. While the general contractor supplied transport to and from the site, these guys figured they would save a lot of money and get more work done if they lived in an old army tent right out on the ROW. Anyway... they were setting up the tent and one guy leaned his axe against a tree and proceeded to climb the tree to tie a rope for the tent. Well, he fell out of the tree, right onto the axe and put a 2 inch deep gouge in his gluteous maximus. None of the other guys would drive him to the hospital as they were more concerned about making money. The guy had to drive himself out, down the rough ROW to hospital sitting on a bloody compress.

thats horrible . . . logger life must be messed up for someone not to help. . . its like commissioned sales, dog eat dog. never thought of that side of the trade. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.