Which Chain sharpener to buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
The Timberline seems very pricey and it locks you into buying their carbide cutter. As for the Granberg file guide, I've read good things about it as guides go. I attempted to use the Oregon version of the Granberg but ended up taking it back to the store. It was too flimsy. I've read that the Granberg pro guide is very sturdy.

Recently I purchased the TimberTuff grinder and have been very, very happy. With a grinder, you are not locked into purchasing one brand of cutting wheel. There are options, including diamond blades. I have a smaller chainsaw that uses low profile chain. After sharpening my chain with my grinder, I could not believe that I was still using my small 40 cc saw because it was finally cutting so great. Here's a picture:

Attachments

• Timber TUFF Chainsaw Chain Sharpener.jpg
    Timber TUFF Chainsaw Chain Sharpener.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,402
Mike I bought the Granberg and it does a pretty good job and is sturdy. I am however going to purchase the Timber Tuff after using an electric chain grinder a friend has and getting a much more consistant result. I like the consept of the Timberline but agree with Woodnstuff about being locked in to their cutter etc. could get pricey... Farm and Fleet has the Timber Tuff on sale now for 109.00 I am getting one in the morning.

bubba3228 said:
Mike I bought the Granberg and it does a pretty good job and is sturdy. I am however going to purchase the Timber Tuff after using an electric chain grinder a friend has and getting a much more consistant result. I like the consept of the Timberline but agree with Woodnstuff about being locked in to their cutter etc. could get pricey... Farm and Fleet has the Timber Tuff on sale now for 109.00 I am getting one in the morning.

Bubba3228, I noticed the sale price on the TimberTuff at Blain's Farm and Fleet in their recent sale flyer. I purchased mine about 3 or 4 weeks ago at the same sale price. When I saw it that low, I figured it wouldn't be on sale again for a while. I'm glad it is for others like yourself. It definitely is a great deal. Others in the forums have compared it to the Northern Industrial Bench- or Wall-Mount Chain Grinder, which is on sale right now for $89.99. It looks exactly like the TimberTuff, minus the green paint. Here's the link.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200327449_200327449

My TimberTuff works like a charm. Makes the chain razor sharp. Very easy to use.

Looks like a match to me. If they do not have one in stock at Fleet tomorrow I may have to order the one from Northern. Thanks for the input, I see you are a cheesehead too. I live in Baraboo.

’bert said:
I have the same grinder but I am wondering, do you have to reshape the grinding wheel at some point?
There was a dressing stone that came with my Northern one.

’bert said:
I have the same grinder but I am wondering, do you have to reshape the grinding wheel at some point?
It does not have a guided dresser but it comes with a freehand dressing stone.

I was wondering the same. I found a vid on you tube that helped me some. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hRAAi4wygs&feature=related

I bought my Timber Tuff today and sharpened 2 chains so far. I am in the beginning to middle of the learning curve.

My first chain did not seem to cut bad, however it was not throwing nice chips. I realized I had failed to set the tilt setting to 10deg on the base as the chart had indicated.

The unit came with a dressing block and a wheel shape guide to keep the desired shape and the wheel clean from gunk and steel. I will try my second chain with the proper adjustments made in the morning.

So far I am impressed with this unit it seems very sturdy and not sloppy at all.

There is nothing like a good sharp chain to make the work fun.

Dieselhead said:
I use this quality piece, so far so good, often they put out 20% coupons or they go on sale down to 29 bucks:

http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-chain-saw-sharpener-93213.html

Initially, I purchased this same unit. I was at HF looking around when I bumped into a fella purchasing the HF 1/8" sharpening stone for this unit. He went on to say that it was the best $30 bucks he spent. He said that it sharpened great. After opening it up and really looking it over, I decided that I wanted a unit that was sturdier. In retrospect, I probably would have been fine with it.

bubba3228 said:

I was wondering the same. I found a vid on you tube that helped me some. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hRAAi4wygs&feature=related

I bought my Timber Tuff today and sharpened 2 chains so far. I am in the beginning to middle of the learning curve.

My first chain did not seem to cut bad, however it was not throwing nice chips. I realized I had failed to set the tilt setting to 10deg on the base as the chart had indicated.

The unit came with a dressing block and a wheel shape guide to keep the desired shape and the wheel clean from gunk and steel. I will try my second chain with the proper adjustments made in the morning.

So far I am impressed with this unit it seems very sturdy and not sloppy at all.

There is nothing like a good sharp chain to make the work fun.

bubba3228, sure glad that you found one you like. The price was right and no waiting for shipping.

Just purchased Northern Tool's $129.00 grinder for $89.00 on sale. Seems to be a great grinder for the price.

bikerz said:
Just purchased Northern Tool's $129.00 grinder for $89.00 on sale. Seems to be a great grinder for the price.
I ordered it also yesterday . We'll see how it compares to the top of the line Oregon I had years ago.

uncontrolabLEE said:
bikerz said:
I ordered it also yesterday . We'll see how it compares to the top of the line Oregon I had years ago.

They stack up OK!

bikerz said:

Good for you bikerz. If I had seen this prior to purchasing my TimberTuff, I would have gotten this one at $89 from Northern Tool. I had been eyeing it up and then the TimberTuff went on sale in my area. So, I figured that I could have it right away without waiting. I'm happy with my TimberTuff and figure anyone else out there needing a nice grinder and wanting a good deal would be very happy with the one from Northern Tool.

Funny thing is this. When I went to my Farm & Fleet to pick up the TimberTuff, all the grinders were boxed up and needed some assembly. I wanted to see it set up and get a feel for it. I asked the fella in the tool department and he sent me back to their small engines shop where they had the same exact model they sell in the store all set-up for grinding chain. Turns out they've had it for 2 years grinding chain for customers. The small engines guy showed me how it worked, etc. Worked real nice and holding up just fine in their shop. That sold me.

I know these things are imports. They're clones. But I cannot afford to purchase a unit made in USA. Do they even exist? The fact is as a nation we've been sending our industry to Mexico, China, Canada, Taiwan, etc. for a long time. It makes some people a lot of money when this happens. So it continues to happen.

I do my best to purchase USA made when it makes sense. Other times I choose an import. For example, I was looking for USA made "The Originalâ„¢ Locking C-Clamps with Swivel Pads". Well turns out they're made in China. So, I go to Harbor Freight. They have what appear to be the same clamp, also made in China. The Chinese made Irwin Vice Grip brand was $15 each at Menards. The Chinese made HF comparable tool was $4. And you know what? I think the HF tool feels like it's better quality.

Good for you.

Guys! I just want to say that buying the best is so much better in the long run.I have been down this road many times and dont want to see money wasted.I have used most of the bench grinders and I will say that you need to get an Oregon 411AX or similar or the Stihl USG.You can find them cheap at Russo.com.I know money is tight but so is wasted time and money on equipment that doesnt work.I bought one years ago from Harbour Freight and it actually made the chains worse than sharpening with a file.Save your money and spend the $400 for a good benchmount grinder and it will EASILY pay for itself.I own the Oregon 551462 with hydraulic assist and I think its the bomb but the other Oregon sharpeners are also great like the 410A or 411AX.The shops use the previous mentioned sharpeners because they work well.Just my 2 cents worth.Happy cutting and be safe!

I use and love the dremel sharpener... easy to use, works great, and you can buy other brand stones to use with it. It is $15 and you don't need to take up space with an extra tool in your shop.

Edit: $400+ for a sharpener?? Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.